Breastfeeding

How much is too much at 3 weeks?

I was advised by my LC to pump my right side secondary to nipple trauma. We just started to give him a bottle due to him wanting to feed almost all day today on the left side. It simply wasn't enough because he's never cried so much since we brought him home. So my question is how much is too much bm to feed a 3 week old? TIA!

~Jess & Mike May 12, 2007
12.6.07 CP at 5w
5.21.08 BO discovered at 7w, D&E at 8w3d
8.31.08 CP at 4w5d
BFP Sept 25, 2008 bfp buddy lkstor Landon born June 6, 2009
3.25.11 missed m/c discovered at 9w6d, D&E at 10w2d
4.28.11 MTHFR a1298c homozygous discovered
4.2011 Began NaProTechnology
10.12.11 Diagnosed with Type III Luteal Phase Defect
10.2011 Starting hcg injections on 5, 7 & 9 dpo
BFP 12.7.11 - EDD 8.14.12 - IT'S A BOY! Fruit Baby
Life During and After RPL
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How much is too much at 3 weeks?

• adri77adri77 member
    BF babies only EVER need 1 oz per hour that they eat- so if you are feeding him every 2 hours, give him 2oz.  BM changes as they get older, so an oz per hour will always satisfy their needs- even when they are 6 months old.  I'm sure there are some babies that just want a little more, but I wouldn't go more then an oz past the hour rule.  But for a baby as young as yours, an oz per hour is plenty.  And remember babies go through growth spurts at 3 weeks.  So you may want to feed him more often, like every hour. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I believe the rule (the one I learned) is an ounce to an ounce and a half per pound of body weight over the course of a day...  You should (if you plan to get baby back to the breast) hold the bottle parallel to the floor and the baby perpindicular to the floor, so that the nipple is only half full, so that the baby has to suck to draw milk from the nipple as it would at the breast. 

Remember that the baby's tummy is only ever as big as his FIST.  That's not very big!

• Loading the player...
  • We gave DD her first bottle right around 4 weeks, and she took 4oz.  She also took 4oz bottles when she started daycare at 3 months.  The most she every took in a bottle was 6oz around 6-8 months.  She ate every 1-1.5 hours up until 2 months, every 2 hours until 3 months, and then every 3 hours after.  Basically, I'm not sure how accurate the "1oz" rule is.  I probably wouldn't worry at this point as long as he's taking the smaller bottles and not the ones that hold up to 8oz.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"