Pregnant after 35

Birth Story - Twin C/S birth

Finally getting around to writing my birth story.  Hopefully this won't be too long!

I made it to my scheduled c/s at 38w1d with the twins- a miracle just for that!

Mine was the first scheduled c/s of the day - and thankfully I didn't get bumped by any emergencies (i don't do well fasting too long!).  The nurses got me prepped (yes they do "shave" you a bit- just on your lower belly- no brazilians or anything, lol).... the doc came in to see if I had questions- then I walked across the hall to the OR - got on the table myself, got the spinal (just a little pinch like getting a regular IV- no biggie).... and got numb pretty fast.

I could feel tugging- but no pain at all.  I had no clue they had even begun cutting into me until I asked and DH said "Oh yeah- they are in there and have been for a few minutes!".    DH was able to video tape the whole thing- he didn't get too much blood/guts- but the doc didn't care if he did or not - i have a great OB who's not afraid of video thankfully :)

when they held up Grayson over the curtain for me to see- i got splatted in the face by some goo- and it made me laugh... so when they were about to hold up Gibson- i was prepared and had my hand ready near my face :)

They cleaned them up and brought them over to me pretty fast- they both were crying and when i touched their cheeks and talked to them they both stopped- it was sweet :)   DH went with them to the nursery then.

The worst part of the whole thing was when the babies were taken out of the room and DH went with them- the docs were moving around my organs to put them back into place - so I had no distractions and was paying too much attention to what they were doing.  It wasn't painful- but was uncomfortable for about 5-10 minutes... kind of like someone pushing a little too hard on your belly feeling..... and i started sweating like crazy- but the docs said they were, too- that i was really hot in the OR.... so the anesthesiologist got me an ice pack and put it under my neck- that helped a lot.

One funny moment- the docs were doing their "organ moving" and said "Gail, did you have your appendix removed?" .... "yes"... "oh- that's why we can't find it- good thing" :) lol.  My doc has a funny sense of humor-i love him :)

I was in recovery for about 40 minutes - had the shakes, which i always get from anesthesia... annoying b/c i can't control them- but nothing bad.  Dh came in and showed me photos of the babies on the camera... we chatted with the nurses... then i was wheeled to my room.

I stayed in bed until later that night- when they had me get up for the first time and walk to the bathroom so they could clean me up well and get me moving.  That was the worst of the pain.... the incision would sting when i moved- but it was not unbearable by any means. You just have to make sure you breathe through it and move slowly.

they took the catheter out the next morning (no pain).  Getting in and out of bed was not easy but not horrible for the next 2 days, then got much easier.  I was there for 4 nights, which was nice- i had plenty of time to heal before having to come home and care for 2 infants + a toddler.... and walk up/down stairs in my house :)

I have had some "pooling" pain, which my doc said is the bladder contracting a lot when peeing - it's not too bad, feels like when i'm peeing that my organs are moving around- which i guess they are in a way... but otherwise- no issues peeing/pooping at all.  Some women get really constipated (I didn't) so take colace if you can't poop.

As everyone says- take your pain killers.... and take the Anti-Gas meds!!  If your hospital doesn't give them to you- have your DH go buy some- b/c you WILL get very gassy.  My nurses brought me one after every meal and I had very little gas pain.  Breathe when you move- it does help... and get moving as quickly as you can, and often.  I found the longer I rested - the more it hurt to get up again after resting.... If i got up more often- it hurt a lot less.

I have had very few restrictions since discharge. Doc said i can do stairs as long as I feel OK - and quite honestly- stairs have not been hard at all!  They don't hurt any more than regular walking to me.  I haven't been driving yet b/c i was on percocet the first week... but my doc said i could drive when i wanted to as long as not on the pain killers.    I can swim after 2 weeks and wear a tampon for an hour to go in the pool if i want.   I was told not to lift anything over 10 lbs until my doc OK's it at my 2w PP checkup (tomorrow)... so i can't lift Griffin yet.

I am now 2 weeks PP and have no pain in my abdomen anymore.  I have had a FABULOUS c/s recovery - and can say it is 100% better than my vaginal birth experience - where I suffered a 4th degree tear and was in pain for 8+ weeks... and very limited in what i could do, how i could care for my baby, etc.  With this c/s I have been able to do everything I need to do- with little pain- and am so much happier all around.

there are horror stories for both vaginal and c/s births of course - my horror story is my vag birth... c/s was heaven compared. 

But the best part of it all is of course that I got not just one, but two very healthy babies that were able to come home with me, never needed the NICU, no problems other than some jaundice.  We feel VERY blessed and are so thankful for how easy this pregnancy and birth have gone... and that we are now home with our completed family!!

My best to those of you who are waiting to deliver!!!!

Re: Birth Story - Twin C/S birth

• I am so glad that you had a pleasant c-section experience! Your doctor sounds great!!

I second the importance of the taking anti-gas meds, they are the best thing ever! My hospital gave them to me as well as a stool softener and I had no issues with either after my c-section.

Your babies are beautiful and such healthy weights for twins! Congrats and best wishes to you and your entire family!!

Dawn

• I THIRD the importance of the anti gas meds (and the pain medication - don't be a hero!) ... ladies, if you have never thought about what gas pain feels like in your SHOULDERS?   

.. trust me.  You don't want to.  Listen to the ladies! :) 

HUGE congrats to you & yours for your gorgeous twins.    My C/S wasn't a disaster either-  and I recovered very quickly from both of mine.   No fear ladies, they do this sort of thing every day! :)

Christine

• Loading the player...
  • M.AmyM.Amy member
    imageChristineNYC:

I THIRD the importance of the anti gas meds (and the pain medication - don't be a hero!) ... ladies, if you have never thought about what gas pain feels like in your SHOULDERS?   

Is the gas because of the c-section or delivery in general??

• Thanks for sharing your story, Gail! Sounds like recovery hasn't been tough at all. Your babies are beautiful!
  • imageM.Amy:
    imageChristineNYC:

I THIRD the importance of the anti gas meds (and the pain medication - don't be a hero!) ... ladies, if you have never thought about what gas pain feels like in your SHOULDERS?   

Is the gas because of the c-section or delivery in general??

surgery... any surgery in the abdomen can cause gas build up - in all parts of your body (ie- shoulders) - and can be really bad if not taken care of.

• steverstever member
    Hooray!!! Congrats on your easy delivery and your beautiful boys Goldie!
  • PeskyPesky member
    Congrats!!!  Glad all went well!

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Great positive birth story! Your babies are beautiful with great names! Congratulations!!
  • These are stories that are nice to hear once in awhile. They give us hope that we too can have a delivery that isn't so bad. But I wouldn't want anyone to sugarcoat the tough labor & deliveries either. We all need to keep in mind how each pregnancy, each child & each woman are different.

Thanks for sharing your story & we hope to continue to hear from you occasionally.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for sharing.  The boys (all three) are just gorgeous.  I'm glad your recovery is going so well.
    DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Thanks for sharing, I still don't know how you did it!  I have to commend you for having such healthy (great weight) twin boys!  They are adorable!
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow, that sounds like a perfect birth story for twins!  You are a lucky lady!
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Congratulations, I am glad you had some time in the hospital to rest up before going home. Your boys are amazing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't post my c-section birth story but it would mirror this one minus one extra baby!  I had the gas pain in the shoulders and thought I was having a stroke.  Also, something no one ever told me was that even though I had a section, I would still bleed (period-like) as if I had a vag birth.  I don't know why I thought it was related to vag delivery only.  Duh. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"