Breastfeeding

Fenugreek for supply?

I started back at work last week, and already today I can tell I'm pumping less.  I'd really like to make it to a minimum of 6 months with BFing DD.

I'm thinking of trying Fenugreek...but have some questions for those who have tried it...

Did it help increase supply? 

How long until you saw an increase?

How much did you take a day?

Thanks.

Re: Fenugreek for supply?

• **Butting in** I hope someone answers because I'm on my way to The Vitamin Shoppe for some when DD wakes up from her nap! GL to you.
  • Fenugreek can work to increase your supply, provided you take a minimum of 3500 mg/day.  It doesn't work for everyone.  You will likely smell like maple syrup while taking it.  A nice side effect.  :-)

This site has been incredibly helpful to me: https://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbal_galactagogue.html

• Loading the player...
  • I've been taking it for about a week and a half, maybe 2 weeks. I have seen a slight increase in suppy, nothing drastic though which was fine for me. I take 3 capsules 3 times a day. I also recommend drinking Mothers Milk tea which you can buy wherever you buy Fenugreek. Good luck!
  • I had a drop in supply and I've been taking it for about 4 days now and I have noticed an increase in supply. I take two capsules 3x per day and I don't smell like maple syrup *yet*. LOL! I also have oatmeal every a.m. for breakfast and drink a beer every night. I'm trying every thing to keep up my supply!! I totally agree with pp to use Kellymom.com as a resource. It was recommended to me by my LC and it has been very helpful.
  • I started taking it a week ago and saw an increase in supply within a day.  I started by taking 3 pills/3x a day.  I stopped taking it yesterday and I am still pumping more than I did prior to taking it, so I would say it helped.  I really hate the maple syrup sweat smell, though.
  • In studies, fenugreek works best when used WITH blessed thistle.  You should see, with the two of them, an increase in supply in three days or so, but over a two week period you should see as much of an increase as you are going to get.  It helps best to increase supply if you do it with pumping at proper inervals (or if you're home offering the breast more often for a few days), and doing breast compressions when you feed/pump.

You should start with three capsules of EACH three times a day.  If you dont smell like maple syrup you should add a fourth to each dose of the fenugreek.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"