Two Under 2

Move DC#1 to new room before or after birth of DC#2

We're going to keep DD's room as the nursery and move her to a bigger room across the hall.  I'm not sure yet though if it will be better for DD to move to her new "big girl" room before or after DC#2 is born.  She'll be 18 mo. when DC#2 is born but DC#2 will more than likely be in our room for the first 3 mo.  I've contemplated waiting till DD is around 21 months before moving her but I'm worried she'll feel "displaced" from her room by the baby if I do it after he/she is born.  But I'm still not sure if it's a good idea to move her at 17 mo. to a new room. 

While I ponder what I'm going to do, out of curiousity, when are you moving DC#1 to their new room (if in separate rooms) -- before or after DC#2 is born?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Move DC#1 to new room before or after birth of DC#2

• Thats a good question.  If it were me I would try and move before the baby got there...just because you don't want her to upset about the new baby and having to leave the room.  Plus you prob. want her to be STTN in her new room before you have a newborn to deal with.  I can't imagine having a newborn and an 18 month old that won't sleep bc shes in a new room... I say get it over with sooner than later haha!  GL!

"I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two. -Bob Constantine

"All for Love,' a Saviour prayed 'Abba Father have Your way. Though they know not what they do...Let the Cross draw men to You...."

• imagelrrb:
    I can't imagine having a newborn and an 18 month old that won't sleep bc shes in a new room...

Oooh, good point.  I had thought about there possibly being issues with her feeling comfortable sleeping in her new room!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • def move beforehand. you DO NOT want a move to coincide with a baby coming - if she puts 2 and 2 together she could be very resentful that you "kicked her out" of her room for the baby.  we moved dd1 into her new room the may before dd2 was born in july (she was about 16-17 months). we'd pass her old room for the next few months and say "this is the baby room now!! lets go to your new room!!" and that was it. went perfectly.
  • Definately before---the longer before the better. She will have so many adjustments when the baby is born, and changing rooms is a big one.
  • We are doing before (if I can ever get Cam's new room done--hoping to by the end of July!!!).  We're definitely going on and doing it esp. since we decided to buy another convertible crib.  It's not like we are rushing her into a big girl bed, so I don't see the point of waiting another couple of months. 

My Sweet Girls

• My son was only 16 months old when my DD arrived.  DD slept in our room in the cradle for about 2 months.  When I was ready to move her into the nursery (which had decorated gender neutral for exactly this purpose), I moved DS into his "big boy" room (after talking it up for weeks, letting him help me pick out pictures and letting him help me put his clothes away, etc).  It took a week for him to completely transition (he also moved into a twin bed at the same time, so it was a big adjustment), but after that it was totally fine.  So to answer your question, DS moved into his big boy room at 18 months and DD moved into the nursery at 2 months.
  • PeskyPesky member
    I vote for before too.  It can be a long period of adjustment and might as well start sooner than later.  We actually started acclimating DD to her new room beginning of the year when we would go in there to read her her bedtime stories so it became firmly incorporated into her nighttime routine.  Then we moved her clothes in there so she dressed in there in the morning.  Then we had her start napping there and sleeping there.  Took about 3 wks for the transition to go through and it was a bit rough but all worked out well.  And VERY happy she is very settled in her room a good month and a half before the baby is due.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Before but do it atleast a couple months before is possible we are moving DD in august new baby comes in November. ?Thats just to make sure she gets adjusted to her room. ?May take a little while also moving her to toddler bed. ??
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"