North Carolina Babies

Another car seat question

How long does a child need to be in a car seat?  For example, I have my infant seat, which goes to 22 lbs. and then I'll go to a convertible.  But how long does DD need the convertible, before a booster?

It's hard to choose a convertible, because they all have different max weights.  Is 50 lbs. a good weight before we'd need just a booster?  Some seats (just using the poorly rated Alpha Omega as an example) go from 5-100 lbs.  Would my kid still be in a full-sized seat at 100 lbs. or is that just overkill?

Basically, what is the max weight on the convertible that I should be looking for? =)

Re: Another car seat question

• I wonder the same thing. I would say at age 3 they could go to a booster? I know my nephew is still in a booster and he turned 8 in Feb.  I guess it also depends on the child and the weight.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I cant remember when we put my stepson in his booster seat the first time. But He's almost 8 years old and still using his booster seat and the law in NC is either 8 years old or 80 pounds...my stepson is in the 60's for his weight and in the middle to just about middle for his age as far as size goes. And there is no way I could see him riding in a convertible carseat after the age of 5 to be honest with you. So I dont think you really need a seat that goes up to 100 pounds but I'm not sure at what point u'd switch from the convertible to the booster...its prolly different for every kid depending on when they get to be a certain age and size.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think people generally switch from a convertible to a booster between the ages of 4 and 6, depending on their height and weight. We got a convertible that goes up to 40 lbs, so *hopefully* Mads will be big enough for a booster by the time she's 40 lbs. I took that gamble b/c she is on the smaller side. I know a lot of other seats go up to 50 or 65, and that's probably a better bet if you have a bigger baby. But I don't think anyone needs one that goes up to 100 lbs!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • How long does a child need to be in a car seat? 80 lbs or 8 years old

For example, I have my infant seat, which goes to 22 lbs. and then I'll go to a convertible.  But how long does DD need the convertible, before a booster? They recommend keeping DC in a harness restraint as long as possible, it's really much safer. (Car seat straps like your infant seat, as opposed to just a seat belt with a booster seat) Some of the convertible seats go to 50-65 lbs to allow for this. I think you can start using just the seat belt with a booster at 3years and 30lbs.

Some seats (just using the poorly rated Alpha Omega as an example) go from 5-100 lbs.  Would my kid still be in a full-sized seat at 100 lbs. or is that just overkill? Seats like that act as a 3-in-1 car seat. You can use it with her now as a rear-facing seat, then with the harnesses as a convertible. The last stage is using no harnesses as a booster seat so DD would still have the high back and comfort of the seat. And yes, some parents prefer to keep their child in a car seat as long as they possibly can - so a seat that goes to 100lbs is important to them.

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"