South Florida Babies

If you ever smoke(d) pot...

Will you tell your kids?  I've been wondering about this.  I have (and still do on occasion) and I know that my parents did.  When I was a teenager I asked and they said they had.  I think I will probably be honest with Alexis about that, but only if she asks.  I don't think I would ever admit to anything else though.  

i don't think knowing the truth from my parents was any kind of approval for me, they did not approve, but it was nice to know that I could talk to them honestly. 

image image

Re: If you ever smoke(d) pot...

• I always think about what I would do if they were to ask.  I never asked my parents I just asumed they did...my mother was def a flower child & my dad a hippie as hippie can get.  He had the fro' going and all!!!  For now...I don't think I would admit to anything.  Teens will experiment...there's nothing you can do about it.  I just don't want them to ask about pot (or anything else) and then keep asking.  I think that if & when I admit to experimenting w/drugs will be when their in college or later.  No need to tell them anything while they are still in highschool.  ((btw, did anyone notice that I'm using children instead of child...LOL, i haven't even popped Bella out and I'm already thinking of expanding the fam))
  • I have.  Haven't in a long time, but will likely tell Charlotte... if she asks =]
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmmm... very good question...

I have done it, but I can count the times I have on my fingers. I don't mind that other people do- but it's not my thing. Brings me down (makes me sleepy and just blah)- I rather drink and be festive. ;-) I guess if Nadia asks, I'd just be honest. If she's really curious- she's going to do it regardless of what I say. Atleast if I'm open to the conversation- then maybe it won't happen behind my back...

• I did in college, but the last time was like, 8 years ago! i would probably tell her that i did it in college, but it's not appropriate to continue doing so as an adult. Especially now the way companies drug test everyone.  I don't see the point in lying about it, but i wouldn't exactly condone it either.

• DH and I have talked about this and I think it's something we both want to be honest about.  If she's curious about it, she's going to try to do it regardless.  I'm not going to open the conversation unless I feel like she's already doing drugs or if I find out her friends do. 

Oh, and I think that if she does it before she's 18, she'll get the same kind of punishment as if she's found with a pack of cigarettes.  I am ok with her smoking in college as long as it doesn't affect her schoolwork or social life (and she does it responsibly and doesn't drive and smoke or go to class or work,e tc.... same as drinking.)

• I only tried it once and hated it, so for me it's not an issue. For DH it's a different story. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing. I saw an Oprah show on addiction once and there was a man who wrote a book about his son who has turned into a hardcore drug addict. During the course of the show, the man talked about how when his son first started experimenting with pot, and they caught him, he admitted to his son that he had smoked pot as a teen too...he explained that he was trying to relate to him and hoping that his message would resonate more with his son if his son knew he had done it before too.

Well they mentioned on the show that experts are split on what is the best thing to do from a parenting standpoint. It really is a double-edged sword. On one hand, if your teen knows that you yourself smoked pot and everything turned out a-ok with your life, then there's no deterrence for them. They figure they can do it too and everything will be just fine because if you did and you turned out fine, it won't be a problem for them either. The thing with that is that every individual is different, and I truly believe from personal experience and observing things with family members and friends, that some people are more easily susceptible to addiction than others. So yeah, while DH did his share of experimenting and still turned into a perfectly responsible, well-adjusted adult (as do most people who smoke or smoked pot), there's a chance that one of our children may not be that lucky and the experimenting could have a different, more negative outcome for them. The other side of the coin is that if you DON'T admit to your kids that you tried drugs, they will feel like they can't relate to you at all and like you must not know what you're talking about when it comes to that area, so they are less likely to follow your advice about it.

I don't really know how I feel at this point. I guess we'll see when the time comes how we handle it. I'm guessing it will be more DH's call than mine because he's the one with the personal experience. I just think it's so touchy, and like someone mentioned, where do you draw the line? If you admit to pot, what if they ask about other drugs? What if they ask you how often you did it? etc. Yikes :( I'm glad we still have plenty of time before we have to open that can of worms.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • If they ask I'll be honest but I hope they're not as curious about it as I was when I was a teenager. I don't see pot as bad at all but I know a lot of people that weren't okay with just doing that and moved on to worse things, that's my fear.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I completely agree with you. I think that talking openly and honestly with your parents is a great way to go. my parents instilled alot of fear in me, and so i never spoke to them about anything or asked them about drugs/sex and whatever else my teenage brain was curious about. i was raised by a strict catholic school mentality and i think it affected me in that i was even more curious to try pot and other "bad" things.  If joshua ever asks, then for sure I will be honest with him.
  • imagekvwerne:
    I completely agree with you. I think that talking openly and honestly with your parents is a great way to go. my parents instilled alot of fear in me, and so i never spoke to them about anything or asked them about drugs/sex and whatever else my teenage brain was curious about. i was raised by a strict catholic school mentality and i think it affected me in that i was even more curious to try pot and other "bad" things.  If joshua ever asks, then for sure I will be honest with him.

you did?????  lol i'm shocked!!  :-D

• Dh and I never tried it. I still plan on being very open with our children, but I would hope they wouldn't show any interest in alcohol, smoking or drugs. I never did.

• DH have talked about this before.  We plan on being as open and honest with our kids as possible. My parents weren't very open with me, so I plan on being the opposite with my kids. Talking to them about everything and anything and not have them fear us.  So yes, when they ask, we'll let them know that we have.
  • imageMelanieJH1016:

I did in college, but the last time was like, 8 years ago! i would probably tell her that i did it in college, but it's not appropriate to continue doing so as an adult. Especially now the way companies drug test everyone.  I don't see the point in lying about it, but i wouldn't exactly condone it either.

I agree.  I smoked pot a few times in my late teens and early twenties, but I don't think its something an adult, especially a mother, should do or be proud of.  Sorry, just my two cents.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"