D.C. Area Babies

xp - do babies under 3 months not wear pants?

i was setting aside all of the newborn and 0-3 clothes we received to get them washed and ready and realized that onesies outnumbered pants at least 12 to 1. is this on purpose? do you generally not put pants on a kid that is under 3 months? even when you're going out and about? our kid will probably still be in the 0-3 range come fall and i'm thinking it will be way too cool to go barelegged.

i did just find a great deal on the Carter's 2 pack of knit pants at Marshall's for $5 and snagged a few (plus Robeez with dragons on them for $14! squee! love Marshalls!). and a pair or cargo pants from Old Navy for $9. any other cheap pant recommendations are welcome. 
The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: xp - do babies under 3 months not wear pants?

• I've noticed the same thing and I think it's just to make changes, etc. easier.  Have you checked out baby legs?  I've heard good things about those too (although they are a little pricey).

https://store.babylegs.com/catalog/Boy

Julia

• People just like to give onsies, that's why you got so many.  Pants aren't nearly as fun a gift.  Smile

But yeah, those Carter's knit pants are great (if they're the ones I'm thinking of that roll up at the bottom, then as baby grows you can roll them down to have them last a few more months).  You're on the right track as to where to get cheap kids clothes - I find Marshall's hit or miss, but when it's a "hit" day you can get some great bargains.

Also, something to thing about, both my kids were February babies, and while I was on leave at home with them (ten weeks for the first, then 12 weeks with the second) they lived in (what I call) sleepers - long sleeved, long legged, with footies- type things.  Keeps them warm, and nobody judges you if your newborn is in their "pajamas" all day.  I found that much more convenient than fussing with a onsie, then a pair of pants, then socks, then possibly a sweater if the onsie is short-sleeved.  They're like this:   

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Loading the player...
  • I specifically made it a point to buy some pants for my little one since he was born in February.  Carters sells newborn and 0-3 cotton pants that make diaper changing easy.  I ended up getting a lot of pants at thrift stores and yard sales.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I found great pants at Old Navy for 3 for $15 in really nice neutral colors that went with all DD's onesies. It might be harder for you to find some now that they're out of season, but you might also get them on good sale. I saw some still on the racks at Old Navy at Tyson's when we went yesterday if you want to check them out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • they do sell them but you will go through way more onesies than pants (they are much more likely to get spit up on). My DS was born in the summer so we mainly had him in onesies until he was about 3 months (and swaddled when he napped).
  • DD has 1 pair of pants- she's mostly in onesies during the day. With a fall baby you might just consider what artslvr said about the footed pj type outfits- they will definitely keep the lo warmer and are easier than dealing with a onesie, pants, socks, etc. I tend to dress dd in as little clothing as I can possibly get away with. I have 3 pairs of babylegs which are good for cool mornings or when it's a bit chilly in the house.
  • I second the previous poster's recommendation of sleepers instead of pants.  They are just easier to deal.  But you might be surprised how little time your kiddo spends in pants while in the 0-3 month size.  My girls were 5lbs 12oz and 6lbs 6oz at birth, but they grew out of 0-3 month size by the time they were 2 months old.  Prior to that point they spent just about all their time in onsies and a blanket (like a swaddle blanket) or in sleepers.

• A lot of onesies might not come w/matching pants. Or maybe people don't realize that babies wear pants too?  Haha.  My son lived in onesies and Carters knit pants his first 3 months.  I loved them!  I don't know why I never thought to put him in footed sleepers during the day, but those would be super easy too. 

• We didn't start really putting DS into pants until he was about 3 months old.  For some reason, we didn't feel like he needed them.  When he hit 3 months, he suddenly seemed too old to go without.  Weird, huh? 
  • ohhhh - onesies get spit up on. right. that would explain why i would go through so many.

good idea about the sleepers - i'll keep an eye out for those on sale.  i guess my head is stuck on pants since we have probably have 40+ (is that a lot? because it sure seems like a lot.) nb - 3 mo. onesies and I'd like to make use of them.

• oh and good point mstavish about thrift stores. i should really start looking there to supplement our shower gifts.
  • imageeeclem:

ohhhh - onesies get spit up on. right. that would explain why i would go through so many.

good idea about the sleepers - i'll keep an eye out for those on sale.  i guess my head is stuck on pants since we have probably have 40+ (is that a lot? because it sure seems like a lot.) nb - 3 mo. onesies and I'd like to make use of them.

you might want to only wash half of them for now and see if you end up needing more. It really depends on how much the baby spits up (mine has reflux, so he spits up a lot) and how often you want to do laundry...If you end up not needing them all, you can return or regift some (I re-gift a lot of stuff, since everyone I know has a baby).

• Footed sleepers are the best.  Especially if they zip.
  • imageSBMBride406:
    imageeeclem:

ohhhh - onesies get spit up on. right. that would explain why i would go through so many.

you might want to only wash half of them for now and see if you end up needing more. It really depends on how much the baby spits up (mine has reflux, so he spits up a lot) and how often you want to do laundry...If you end up not needing them all, you can return or regift some (I re-gift a lot of stuff, since everyone I know has a baby).

Very sage advice (and exactly why I only did nb - 3 mo). Unfortunately, I didn't even realize how many there were until I had snipped off all the tags and had them in the laundry basket! i have two friends due in November, so I will just try to hand them down if they're still in good shape. 

• We went through several onsies during the day and typically one pair of pants.  I had several pairs of the Carters knit pants (super easy to get on and off)

Since you have so many onsies (esp. since you took all the tags off) I wouldn't go out and get sleepers in the 0-3 month size.  You'll be fine with onsies and pants.  If you decide you want sleepers I would get a larger size.

DS only wore sleepers to bed.  I had received so many clothes as gifts that I didn't want to keep him in the sleepers all day otherwise he would have grown out of the clothes he got before wearing them (not that he didn't do that anyway).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • imageArtslvr:

Also, something to thing about, both my kids were February babies, and while I was on leave at home with them (ten weeks for the first, then 12 weeks with the second) they lived in (what I call) sleepers - long sleeved, long legged, with footies- type things.  Keeps them warm, and nobody judges you if your newborn is in their "pajamas" all day.  I found that much more convenient than fussing with a onsie, then a pair of pants, then socks, then possibly a sweater if the onsie is short-sleeved.  They're like this:   

this is exactly what we did, DD was born in Oct. She did not wear pants for a long long time. She went thru several outfits a day w/ blowouts so it didn't really matter what time of day it was, we just used these throughout

• we were given a bunch of onesies for DD and she pretty much has lived in those since she was born. She is not a big fan of pants so I guess it is good that it is summer :-)

the one good thing about having tons of onesies is that if there is a huge diaper blowout- we just cut it off of her instead of trying to pull the mess over her head.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For the first few months he was in sleepers or zip n plays. We had some pants from Carter's I believe.
    imageimage
  • unless you get my kid who can't stand to have things on his feet! 

• DS was mostly in those one-piece outfits, but he was born in December.  But I have noticed that often "outfits" are sold without pants.  I think it is weird.

Carter's stores are having a clearance sale.  There is alot of summer stuff, but they also have some one-piece outfits and pant/shirt sets on sale too.  Prices started at $3.99

• mine wore pants
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"