Pregnant after a Loss

chances of repeat blighted ovum

anyone know what the chances are? my first u/s is at the end of this week and my last pregnancy ended in Dec. It was a blighted ovum. I am soooo scared of this happening again. any incite?
Married my BEST FRIEND on December 1, 2007. Started TTC in March 2008. Found out we were expecting our first child in October 2008 - but had a m/c in December 2008 - resulting in a d&e. Met with a RE in May 2009 and set a plan - but conceived unexpectedly on our own! Our precious little Sophia was born on February 9, 2010! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: chances of repeat blighted ovum

• I'm worried about this myself.  I'm 6w3d & will have my first u/s this Tuesday.  It was a horrible experience last time to see the empty screen. We've been extremely reserved with this pregnancy, cautiously hoping for the best.  

I couldn't find any stats on repeated B.O.'s, but I have heard that it can happen more than once.  Hopefully, neither of us will go through this again.  Hugs and prayers!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know the exact statistics, but I read it's unlikely to happen again. I had a blighted ovum last summer, and my doctor said he thought it was just a "fluke." Now I'm pregnant again and there's definitely a baby in there! Good luck!
    ~ Liz, mommy to:
    DD, 1/7/05 * DS #1, 1/25/07 * DS #2, 11/11/09
    Baby #4, EDD 11/11/12
    m/c 7/30/08 at 12 weeks (blighted ovum, emergency D&C)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • https://www.pregnancyloss.info/info-howcommon.htm

I've had 2 previous miscarriages and am hoping this 3rd one is it.  GL!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 1st m/c July 2008, 2nd m/c December 2008, Baby boy born in 2009!, 3rd m/c (c/p) June 2011, 4th m/c September 2011
  • My m/c was a blighted ovum and there is DEFINITELY a baby in there this time!! I know that there is a chance of it happening again, but it is very rare and the chances are extremely slim. GL!!!
  • I had my dd with no problems getting pregnant or with my pregnancy then just had 2 BO's and we are currently ttc again. I had a bunch of testing done and low progesterone was found so I take prometrium now, baby aspirin, folic acid and prenatal vitamin daily.GL
  • I asked this question after my D&C.  I was told that since the pathology report came back clean then the chances of a repeat were very small.  He actually said the % was less than it would be for a woman who had never had one. 

• I've heard that you're no more likely to have a second one as you were to have a first one. I know that's no help. When we were very first diagnosed with a mc at the ER, the dr. thought is was a BO (later found out it wasn't) but, he did say that the chances of 1 woman having 2 or more BOs is very rare!

Breathe! These little babies are on their way to Feb!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"