Special Needs

XP: has your infant/Young DC had an MRI?

Just wondering about the sedation.  I was told it wouldn't be general anesthesia, just "heavy sedation."  How did your DC handle it.  Were they monitored that day for any length of time after the procedure.  It seems so scary to sedate a 1 month old, she'll probably be 5-6 weeks at the time.Thanks! 

Re: XP: has your infant/Young DC had an MRI?

• They sedated my 2 day old for a MRI. She handled it nicely. They just stuck a tiny tube down her mouth and she was fine. I don't know about monitoring since she was already in the NICU. She was fine though. Just kind of tired for the rest of the day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son had one @ 3 days old, they didn't need to sedate him since he was swaddled and slept the whole time...he was in the NICU at the time so they just took care of everything
  • Loading the player...
  • My son had one at just shy of 2 months old.  It wasn't a huge deal.  They gave him a gas to sedate him, and then did the IV for the MRI contrast dye, so he didn't even feel it.  The whole procedure lasted about an hour, and then they take the gas off and bring you in to be with them when they wake.  He was fussy for awhile, but we just fed him a bottle and then took him home after about 30 min observation.  He was sleepy the rest of the day, but did very well all in all.  The hardest part of the whole thing was the fasting before hand.  Just try to get them to sleep a lot during that time, and bring a paci or toy to distract them from the hunger.  Good luck!
    imageimageimageimageimage 9/07 m/c baby boy @ 18wks, 4/09 m/c @ 4.5wks
  • DS had this done yesterday. He had to have it done twice because one of the parties involved (opthomology) was late. He had an MRI and did fine with that. It took him around 15 hours or so to be able to eat again because he had so much medicine. If they are just doing the MRI it shouldn't be so bad. It's going to be scary and maybe a little sad but she'll be okay.?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAB&TB:
    My son had one at just shy of 2 months old.  It wasn't a huge deal.  They gave him a gas to sedate him, and then did the IV for the MRI contrast dye, so he didn't even feel it.  The whole procedure lasted about an hour, and then they take the gas off and bring you in to be with them when they wake.  He was fussy for awhile, but we just fed him a bottle and then took him home after about 30 min observation.  He was sleepy the rest of the day, but did very well all in all.  The hardest part of the whole thing was the fasting before hand.  Just try to get them to sleep a lot during that time, and bring a paci or toy to distract them from the hunger.  Good luck!

This exactly! My ds was 9 weeks old though.

• Yikes!!  They make the babies fast?  For how long?  DD doesn't go 3 hours without screaming to eat.  I think this is the most worrisome part for me so far.

Thanks for all the replies! 

• My DS has an MRI every 3 months.  I guess total we've had about 15. The first MRI we had he didn't have a port, so the not eating for 4 hours before and the starting the IV were the worst parts.  It's generally a very easy procedure and it shouldn't last more than an hour for the MRI.  Sometimes DS wakes up sweetly from sedation and sometimes he wakes up pretty aggitated.  The propofol's effects usually wear off quite quickly for my son, so we usually feed him and once he keeps that down, we're out in 30 minutes or so provided there is no huge change to the reading.

I wanted to add that for our first MRI at a different hospital they did use gas first to get him to sleep, but our hospital we go to now said that was "really irresponsible of them to do that".  I thought it was nice because he was asleep when they prodded him, but apparently if the child is allergic to the gas or something, it can be really dangerous.

• Our son had an MRI at 2 days old and they did not sedate him. I was intially told by another Dr that they would sedate him but then they didnt. They packed him into a mini basket/crib with lots of warm blankets and put cotton and some mufflers on his ears. The tech said he slept through the entire thing which is very odd to me bc those machines are hella loud. GL
    1 current MC 2011, cautiously pregnant again EDD 4-10-13~STICK BABY
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    After 1 MC 2007, 2 CP, Cade Anthony is here:
    Photography Blog Our Family Blog
  • Aaron had one at 7 months and did fine.  For us the hardest part was seeing him sedated and going for the MRI.  It was quick and he was fine afterwards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"