South Florida Babies
Options

I stand alone!

Am I the ONLY one here who only wants one kid!??!?! I think about it a lot, because I feel guilty that she won't have a sibling, but then everytime I hang out with someone who has 2 kids I realize I do not want more children! Maybe I'm just weak, but I like things simple :-)

Re: I stand alone!

• Options
    I'm totally with you on this one. I am just not interested in having another. I am just so focused on Joshua. Maybe i will change my mind later, but for right now, I am very happy with just my little man.
  • Options

I don't think you are weak at all! My parents felt the same way, which is why they only had me. They also felt that they could give me more if there was only one of me.  In my experience, there were many good things about being an only child. 

That being said, I did always envy people who had siblings and still do.  I missed having that relationship.  Also, as I've gotten older I worry about taking care of my parents on my own, especially because they are divorced.  There have already been several things that have happened in my family that would (I assume) have been easier if there was someone else to share the "burden" with.

It's this experience that has made me want more than 1.  I can't speak for how I will feel after my LO is born though.  There are days when I think of all the good things about being an only child that make me think that might definitely be a possibility for us.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have friends who only want one.  It's just not for me.  You are not weak at all.  You love Zoe very much and your family feels complete. 
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Your situation is VERY different because of your hubby job, you are alone ALOT with just Zoe, I am not sure how I would feel abotu having more kids if Eric wasn't around as much as he is.

I think you are an amazing mom, definately not weak.

My kids adore eachother and I couldn't imagine what they would do without eachother right now. I can't even sign up Sebastian for school 5 mornings a week because Nate would go nuts.

• Options
    In all honesty, 9 out of 10 days I do not want another child.  Nicholas is an extremely spirited child and is so emotionally and physically draining that I really don't think I can handle a 2nd child, but then I think about the fact that I would like him to have a sibling and maybe if there is another kid around to play with, he won't be so clingy and demanding, so I am pretty sure we are going to have another one someday.  But I can completely understand why someone would only want one child.
  • Options
    Maybe you will want more once Zoe is a little bigger but having one is fine. I am an only child so I always said I wanted to give my kids a sibling since I always wanted one.
  • Options
    No you are not alone. My fiance already has 4 children with two other wives and now we are gearing up for our little one and he has made it very clear that this is where we draw the line. IF it so happens that we are to get pregnant again in the future, then it will still be a blessing, but as in making a choice to have another, weve decided our hands are full. Not every child needs a brother or sister to be stable.
  • Options
    imageJaiKriBaby:

I don't think you are weak at all! My parents felt the same way, which is why they only had me. They also felt that they could give me more if there was only one of me.  In my experience, there were many good things about being an only child. 

That being said, I did always envy people who had siblings and still do.  I missed having that relationship.  Also, as I've gotten older I worry about taking care of my parents on my own, especially because they are divorced.  There have already been several things that have happened in my family that would (I assume) have been easier if there was someone else to share the "burden" with.

It's this experience that has made me want more than 1.  I can't speak for how I will feel after my LO is born though.  There are days when I think of all the good things about being an only child that make me think that might definitely be a possibility for us.

You took the words right out of my mouth! It is nice to know that I am not the only one with these worries!  

• Options
    I don't think you are weak at all! you know what you want and that's that. I can't seem to get a hang of things with 2 right now but I know it will get better. I always wanted alot of children and never realized how hard it really is. 2 is my limit. don't feel bad it's your decision and you know what you want.
  • Options

That's it, I'm scheduling more playdates with you!  I admire your strength to be able to know what you want and stand by it!  I have been waffling, and I hate not knowing what I want (I make very convincing arguments on either side of the decision). 

• Options

Overall I'd like more than one, but sometimes I worry I won't be able to handle it - and I love my baby boy so much! I think there's nothing wrong with wanting one child. I'm an only child myself, and while I loved being the center of my parents' attention, there were definitely days I wished I had a brother or sister to share things with, especially when I was younger, and I wanted to play, but my mom was busy doing something else and couldn't just drop everything - and then when I became a teenager and wished I had someone to talk to.

If life only gives me Zachary, I will consider myself blessed that I have an amazing boy, but I do hope that I can give him at least one brother or sister to share the tough times with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Options

No, you are not alone.  I am done!  I wish people would just accept that I do not want any more children!  I am sick of comments like "You can't leave him an only child!"  "What if something happens to him?"  and my favorite, the passive-aggressive comment "Liev, your mommy wants to leave you an only child, she doesn't want you to have any brothers or sisters!"

What if something happens to him?  WTF?  Like having a second child will somehow ease the pain of losing him or even replace him?  That one baffles me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"