South Florida Babies

Toys in the crib...

is it ok?  When Spencer wakes up in the morning, or from a nap, he generally just hangs out in the crib. No crying or anything like that (most of th time).  I'm wondering if it is OK to put something in his crib for him to play with???

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
It's Beshert

Re: Toys in the crib...

• What is the fear that you have of putting a toy in there with him? If you are comfortable doing so, then go for it. I put toys in Max's crib all the time. I want him to always enjoy the crib, and sometimes I use the crib as my sitter so I can take a shower : )
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't really have a fear of my own, yet I think I remember reading something along the lines of never putting toys in the crib, which is why I am hesitant. 

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    It's Beshert
  • Loading the player...
  • As long as it isn't a choking hazard I don't see why not? Also, make sure it doesn't have a cord.

• gena, i think that was more for when they were really little and couldn't move their heads away from a suffocation or choking hazard.  i started putting stuff on the other end of the crib, but i don't think she's found them yet.  she wakes up frmo her naps/in the morning in a panic every single time... like she has no idea where she is.
  • I say go for it! Riley has many toys in her crib =) She wakes up and plays  with them until we get up for the day.
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Chelsea wakes up the same way - as if she doesn't know where she is!  LOL!  You're okay...you can put toys in his crib.  Chelsea has two soft animals in her crib since we came home from the hospital.  A giraffe that was Eli's and another given to her by her godmother (her first very own stuffed animal).  I catch Eli sometimes throwing in ALL her toys with her.  Too cute - but too much.  But I will tell you this - Chelsea hasn't gotten to the point of playing with her toys in the crib.  As soon as she gets up...she wants out! 

• I say go for it.  I didn't keep anything in the crib until she could roll over on her own but once she could I went for it.  We keep two animals in there with her at all times and she will frequently wake up and talk to them for 15 minutes before she calls for us to come and get her. 
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have always put toys in the crib! At least since I felt comfortable knowing that would be able to avoid a suffocation hazard by moving away or pushing something away. I've also kept a blanket in his crib too :)

There is always at least one animal in there if not two, plus he has a plush rattle that he loves to chew on (it's that caterpillar one that the baby stores sell all the itme) since it has a nice chewy corduroy bump on it that feels good on his mouth.

Just like Lynda, when Zachary wakes up he talks to them for at least 15 minutes before he starts to call for me, which is great because sometimes I really need the extra time to get myself moving and get the coffee going. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• When I was still worried about the suffocation hazard (though after DS had already started to cruise, so I may have been worried for no reason), I did hang a stuffed toy over the end of the crib and a blanket and DS would get up in the morning and pull them down to play with.

These days he has a few stuffed animals in with him and lately every morning when I go in he's also taken the teething rails off the side of the crib and is playing with them.  He is definitely more content when he has things to play with when he gets up - as PP said, as long as it's something he can't hurt himself with, go for it.

• imageNicksgirl121:
    I say go for it! Riley has many toys in her crib =) She wakes up and plays  with them until we get up for the day.

Ditto for Mikey :o

~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I was really afraid to put toys in the crib too. We started with just a baby doll around 9 months, cause it had a hard head and arms, juust the body was soft. Then gradually i started adding small books, then other toys. And now she sleeps with an entire entourage of toys and books and a blanket!
  • Andrew started sleeping with his FP Seahorse at 4 months as a lovey.

I just started putting more toys in there now. 

Like pp said, it's a SIDS precaution.  I think once they can roll around easily, they are okay with toys.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At that age Nicky had a few books, his FP rain forest soother, and a few other soft toys.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"