Orange County Babies
Options

Flights with baby?

I'm taking a 15 hour flight with DD next month. She'll be nearly 11 months. I have no idea what to expect on the flight or on the trip. Just wondering what your experiences were.

1. How old was DC on the trip?

2. Did you take a carseat on the flight? 

3. How did DC sleep on the plane? (in your arms, laying on seats, etc)

4. If you were in a different time zone, how long before DC got used to it?

Thanks!

Re: Flights with baby?

• Options

So my flight wasn't even half as long as yours will be, but here's how it went for us.  We flew out to North Carolina a couple of weeks ago to see my family.  Just me and DS!  A flight to Atlanta and then a flight to NC...about 4 hours from CA to GA and then a little over an hour from GA to NC, with an hour and a half layover in between.

1. How old was DC on the trip?  Just shy of 11 months

2. Did you take a carseat on the flight? Checked it at the gate.  Noah wanted to be carried through the airport, so I strapped my carry-on and his bag across my body, put the car seat in the stroller and carried him while pushing the stroller.  I missed preboarding on the flight out of CA, so it was a little hectic trying to fold up the stroller and put it and the carseat to the side and then gathering my bags and Noah.  But not bad for what I had imagined!

3. How did DC sleep on the plane? (in your arms, laying on seats, etc)  He slept in my arms.  There was an empty seat on the short flight so I was able to lounge a little more, but he still slept in my arms.  He usually can't sleep when I'm holding him, but he did really well...especially since I was envisioning screaming and kicking and crying!

4. If you were in a different time zone, how long before DC got used to it? Not long at all.  I think because he was tired from the sporadic naps, he fell asleep at the right bedtime.  He adjusted fine when we got home too...I knew he would, b/c I figured he would want to stay up to see and play with his dad...and he did!  Granted, it was only a 3 hour time difference, but I think the daylight and darkness kind of help them to adjust themselves accordingly. 

He woke up more than usual during the night, but I think it's because we were someplace new.  Otherwise, he took his usual naps and ate at his usual times.  He was in a good mood for the whole trip and we had a good time.  He did really well on the flights and I was extremely grateful.  He is very fidgety and restless, so I was expecting the worst and for everyone on the plane to hate me!  I used most of the layover time just trying to get throught the airport and use the bathroom, but I let him crawl around to try to burn off a little energy.  He had a moment on the long flight back when he started to get a bit cranky and was crying, but he settled down when I got up to walk him.  We stood in the back and he was fine...I guess he needed a change of scenery.  Take off and landing didn't seem to bother him either, but I just gave him some puffs to chew on just in case.  He didn't care for any of the toys or books I brought...more interested in straws, magazines and anything else he could chew on or rip apart.  I was very fortunate to have a dad of 2 young children sit next to me on the flight out, so he was understanding.  Also, on the flight back, I had a young guy sitting next to me...he worked part-time at a children's gym so he was used to craziness too and actually played with Noah a little, which was so great!  I think Noah was getting tired of me by that point, LOL!

Best of luck and hopefully you have a flight companion to help you out!  I was surprised at how less insane it was than I anticipated.  I still had anxiety on the plane just waiting for him to freak out, but he did really well and I was so proud...a few people on the different flights made comments about how good he was, and that is something I never expected before I stepped foot on the plane!  If you knew my little guy, you probably would expect the flight from hell...even my husband said he felt bad for me before I left to get on the plane Stick out tongue  But Noah proved us wrong!  I guess the key is to keep them entertained with whatever works for them.  We fly to Hawaii in a couple of months, when he'll be able to walk, so I think the game will change for us...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't personally have any experience with this, but here is a post from a relative's blog.  She travels pretty regularly between Denmark and California with THREE kids (usually on her own).  I thought there were some good tips there.  For sure things I would never have thought of . . .
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1. How old was DC on the trip?  She was about 6 months old

2. Did you take a carseat on the flight? No, we actually checked the car seat as soon as we got to the airport, used an umbrella stroller at the airport and checked that at the gate.  I didn't buy a seat for the baby, and the flight was full anyway.

3. How did DC sleep on the plane? She slept in my arms (and in my mom's arms part of the time).  We were only going to Chicago, so it was a much shorter flight than you are facing, but she slept through all but about an hour of each flight.  I hope you are traveling with someone though, because I would have had a hard time if I was by myself.  A really hard time.

4. If you were in a different time zone, how long before DC got used to it?  We were only there for the weekend, so I basically kept her on her California schedule.  It was great because it meant I got to sleep later!

Best of luck with your trip!  Let us know how it goes.

• Options

15 hours? You're my hero. I could not/would not be able to do it. A 5 hour flight scared me.

1. How old was DC on the trip? 10 months old, for a 5 hour flight.

2. Did you take a carseat on the flight? We took a Sit n Stroll. On the 1st flight, we had the carseat on the plane, and he never used it. I should have known, since he isn't a big fan of the carseat in general. On the return flight, we gate checked the carseat, and I loved the extra space to lie down with DC.

3. How did DC sleep on the plane? (in your arms, laying on seats, etc) He had the fever, and threw up 3x on the flight, but he slept through most of the flight. The return flight was better, he was more awake, I brought a big bag of toys, our laptop, extra clothes for him, and us too (learned our lesson the hard way), lots of snacks too. He slept in my arms most of the time, and we were laying down on the return flight.

4. If you were in a different time zone, how long before DC got used to it?- It was a 3 hour time difference for a 4 day vacation, so we kept to our California time all throughout. It was heaven waking up at 9am (instead of 6 CA time) and bedtime at 10pm. So, I guess I am no help in this department.

Oh, when you are in the terminal, let your DC play, and tire herself out, so she will be ready to nap in the plane. Also, if you are with DH, have him board first with all of your stuff, and board last with DD so she does not get bored waiting in the plane.

Good luck!
  • Options

we just got back from month and a half long of travels with DS...

First, DS was 6months old when we went to Korea, 13hour flight, he slept before the take off and slept for 6hours... well it all depends on your time of the flight.... our flight was at midnigh, which got DS to sleep from take off till his usual morning time... and he adjusted to the time difference right away since we arrived at 5am Korea time... 

we had him fall asleep on me, holding him but our flight to Korea had a bassinet in the bulkhead row... so soon as he fell asleep I put him in he bassinett and he slept.

if you buy a seat for her then you can bring a carseat for sure, if you don't buy it then you can bring the carseat in to the gate and if there is a empty seat next to you then they will let you bring on the carseat, with out extra pay... we got to do that when we went to Dallas when DS was 3months old....

after the Korea trip DS did have little bit of trouble adjusting back to CA time, staying up till 3am and sleeping in till 1pm... so it was hard on me but by 2nd day I made sure I woke him up at 9am and got him tired... and then we went to Dallas again after Korea... so he adjusted to the time difference right away....

and we just went to NY for a week and once again he just slept on the flight, this time all the seats were booked so DS just slept on me in a Ergo carrier, (ERGO is like my other set of arms! that thing is so comfortable he just sleeps in it and it's comfortable for me to have DS sleep on me in the flight and I don't have to be holding him, and I can sleep too)

make sure you are on her feeding schedule and make sure she gets her naps on time then flight should be no problem...

I am happy to say that so far DS has about 45hours of flying time and he has fussed may be total of 10mins.... just have a bottle ready for take off and landing to help with the ear pressure, if she is awake and seems bothered by it... DS never really cared if we were going up or going down...

if your DD is walking then make sure you get her running around before the flight so you can get her tired out.... I had a small blanket with me so I can lay it out for DS to sit up and play on it before the flights...

if you have any more questions email me at crzykrnck at yahoo dot com 

where are you guys going? enjoy your trip!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"