3rd Trimester

So what does it mean, when you pass out after your Glucose test?

I had my routine glucose test today... I'm not one to really eat sweets, or drink soda of any kind (more of a milk and water girl)... So I took the drink they gave me.. about 40 minutes of waiting later I got really really fuzzy, lightheaded and nauseated... they took my blood, and I pretty much passed out, was SO disoriented.

They took my Blood pressure and I was 105/73 which I dunno what that means. It took an hour before I could get up and walk without feeling like I was going to faint.

So.. I hope that's not an indication of not passing the test :S

Re: So what does it mean, when you pass out after your Glucose test?

• Did you take the test on an empty stomach?  It's always possible you passed out because you didn't eat enough. It can happen and may not mean you have gestational diabetes.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Did you have to fast?  Because you might have just been really, really hungry.  I had to fast for mine and was surprised the same didn't happen for me - I just felt really, really weak.  And I passed the test.
  • Loading the player...
  • the blood pressure seems normal. "normal" is different for everybody though. I felt a little weird after drinking it too,  and I also don't drink sodas or sugary drinks at all. we'll see I guess haha
  • That's not necessarily an indicator of whether you passed/failed the test.

It's probably more along the lines of the fact that your body just isn't used to having sweets (as you said yourself).

• I don't know. Did you have to fast before the test? Maybe the combo of fasting, a sugary drink and getting blood drawn was to much?

• Sounds to me like your blood sugar went too low, rather than high.  When was the last time you ate something?  I have no idea what it means, so I'm interested to read the responses.  I'm sorry you had to go through that.

105/73 is not a low blood pressure for most...unless yours is usually much higher.

• lkichlkich member
    I think it just means you had too much sugar from the drink. I got light headed and shaky from it but didn't pass out. Go get something to eat it should help.
  • I got a headache and a little shaky from drinking it, but I wasn't weak after or anything. When when your test results come in?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had the same reaction (and blood pressure) as you did during the 3 hour test, and I passed.  I don't think its any indication of how you did, it's pretty common to feel this way during the test (at least that's what my dr said)

Good luck with passing! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerimageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't have to fast, but I hadn't had anything to eat since 9am.. my test was at 11:20.. I passed out at about 12:30...

I came home and devoured all things protein along with a huge glass of ice cold milk.. Felt gross about eating, but man, that's what my body was telling me to do, and I feel SO much better.

It was just really wierd. My results will be back probably Monday. So, fingers crossed till then.

• I got nauseus and light headed too. Then I was starving all day. I ended up with a raging headache and I was in a really crappy mood. No passing out though. I did pass the test. I think your body just isn't used to that concentration of sugar that quickly.

Feel better!

• I don't think it's a good sign.  I did mine on an empty stomach and felt fine and flunked by 4 points.  I then took the 3-hr and passed.
  • It doesn't necessarily mean you didn't pass. I had a similar reaction (in addition to throwing up), and I ended up not having GD.
  • It sounds like your BS was low, not high. I think you'll pass. If you don't and they request you take the 3 hour test, I would look into possibly carb loading for a few days and testing your blood sugar (with a finger prick) after a few meals. I don't know if I would do the 3 hour meal if the 1 hour made me pass out.
  • I almost passed out with mine too.  DH had to almost carry me out to the car!  I passed mine with flying colors though.  You should be fine.  Call the doctor tomorrow though....they should have the results in by then.
  • I passed out twice during the three hour test. They didnt tell me that the drink has twice the amount of sugar as the one hour. The tech said it has no indication on whether or not you have GD just how your body reacts to that much sugar hitting it at once. I passed the three hour so dont worry. GL
  • imagerobynlesley:
    Did you take the test on an empty stomach?  It's always possible you passed out because you didn't eat enough. It can happen and may not mean you have gestational diabetes.

I wasn't allowed to eat anything for 8 hours before taking the test.  I felt sick too, and the nurse told me to "hold the urge to throw up" because they make you start all over again the next day if you do!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"