Success after IF

can i take 3 month old babies swimming?

they will be 3 months on 4/5.  DH's aunt and uncle are having a BBQ on the 4th and they have a pool.  M&D love the water so much that i'd love to let them at least kick in the pool a little.  what do i need (besides baby bathing suits ;)?

TIA!

edited to add that obviously they will be 3 months on 7/5 not 4/5 which is the day they were born :P

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

Our successful cycle was IVF #2: Microdose Lupron Flare Protocol - 2 beautiful blasts transferred.

email me: gretchela@hotmail.com

Re: can i take 3 month old babies swimming?

• This is just one opinion so don't let me sway you. FWIW, since you can't really slather a 3 month old in sunscreen and the water reflects so much sun I probably wouldn't. Chlorine is also pretty harsh for such sensitive skin. However I know there are some babies who practically grow up in a pool and they're fine. I just probably would wait if it were mine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We took DS to Aruba when he was three months.  None of the pool floats are rated for infants that young so you will have to hold them, but my doc had no problem with it at all.  Try out a little dab of sunscreen before you go.  Most sunscreens say not until 6 months but my pedi said to me...sunscreen is so much better than a bad burn.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just wanted to share that my dr said he didn't want them exposed to the chlorine in the pool before 6 months.  Also, what Reem said about the sunblock would prevent me, but I am a mole and hide from the sun.
  • I'm not sure about sunscreen and babies.  I know that my doctor advised me to wait until Ella was 6 months to bring her into chlorinated water.  I know it's a bummer:(
    Ella- 8/22/08, Jules and Tuck- 12/15/10
  • imagepamela-matt:
    We took DS to Aruba when he was three months.  None of the pool floats are rated for infants that young so you will have to hold them, but my doc had no problem with it at all.  Try out a little dab of sunscreen before you go.  Most sunscreens say not until 6 months but my pedi said to me...sunscreen is so much better than a bad burn.

Exactly.  We took DS to Aruba the week he turned 5 months and was told the same thing.  PS he loved it :-)

• I'm probably in the minority, but Eli went for a small dip at a couple weeks old.  The ILs have a pool and it was hot out.  I held him and just dipped his feet in a couple times.  I had him in a little swimming suit and rash guard that has SPF.  I wouldn't see a problem if you are holding them and just letting them kick a bit.  We also took him to FL when he was 5 months and the doc said we could use sunscreen. 

• I kept Patrick under umbrellas and very shaded from the sun last summer.  My pedis told me not to use sunscreen before 6 months (there are so many differing opinions on this one) so I did nothing more than stick his feet in the baby pool once or twice last summer.  This summer is a whole different ballgame though:-)  My answer is that I probably wouldn't do more than stick their little toesies for a dip...but that's just me!
  • I took DS in a pool 2wks ago - a few days before turning 5 months.  He liked it, but we only stayed in for a few minutes - me holding him the whole time and him covered up in spf swimsuit and swimhat.  I also took him on Monday. 

I'm not sure....here it is so so hot, so obviously not a good idea - but where you live may not be that hot.  We are supposed to be 106 tomorrow...yeah...

• meh I'd bring them! I brought b in the pool several times before six months, never even thought to ask the pedi, who is so laid back he probably would have laughed at me for even asking.

GO!

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Karly just had her first dip in the pool while on vacation and the water irritated her skin. 

I would say try it, but I'm not sure about the sunscreen issue.  I've heard it's 6 months but I don't know and I would wash their skin off after they get out.

What about a small inflatable pool?  They make a nice one at walmart that the bottom inflates so it's really soft to sit on. 

Whatever you decide to do (and trust your own judgement) I hope you have a great time :)

twin girls after 43 months of TTC.. Katherine Emily (5 lbs 12 oz 19 1/4 in) and Karly Elizabeth (5lbs 7 oz 19 in) imageLilypie!!My bio!! !!My Blog!! imageimage

• Maybe I'm a bad mom, but I put sunscreen on DD last summer and she was only 3-4 months old. I also took her in the pool with me. I just made sure to rinse her off good afterwards. No worries, HAVE FUN!
  • My DH's parents taught him how to swim at a couple weeks old (as soon as umbilical cord fell off) because babies still have the swimming reflex from when they were in the womb. He was swimming a lap at a time by the age of 1 (before he could walk). Of course, back then, I imagine that the chlorine in the water wasn't as harsh (in public pools, anyways), and I would also be worried about sunburn. (They put vaseline on the folds of his skin before going in to avoid irritation) It's up to you. Slather them up in suncreen (ask doc first) and take them in for a few minutes.
  • We're taking dd in the pool for the first time today:)  I asked my pedi and she said using sunscreen is a lot better than a sunburn on a baby.  I bought California Babies sunscreen.  I don't think we'll be in the pool longer than 10 minutes with her so I'm not concerned.  The pool we are going to is a salt water pool so you don't come out if it smelling like chemicals.  If the pool had a lot of chlorine I don't know if I'd want to take her in. 

Clomid M/C 8 weeks 2/08 *IVF #1-DD born 3/09
    *Surprise BFP-T18 baby lost at 13w 1/10 *FET #1-DS born 2/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageRossi17:
    My DH's parents taught him how to swim at a couple weeks old (as soon as umbilical cord fell off) because babies still have the swimming reflex from when they were in the womb. He was swimming a lap at a time by the age of 1 (before he could walk).

this is AMAZING!!!  wow!  that must have been so amazing to see, a little tiny baby swimming lol ;)  i love that!!

thanks so much ladies - you know i never even thought of the chlorine issue.  i was planning on bringing an umbrella into the pool to sheild them from the sun (silly looking but a good solution i think.)  although our pedi told us (unsolicited) that we could use sunscreen this summer.  the chlorine is another issue though, and (like me) these LOs have very sensitive skin, in addition to the normal sensitive baby skin.  so i may just literally dip their toes in.

thanks again - you guys are the best :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

Our successful cycle was IVF #2: Microdose Lupron Flare Protocol - 2 beautiful blasts transferred.

email me: gretchela@hotmail.com
  • KMB7KMB7 member
    Don't forget Swimmy Diapers. The regular diapers are a mess when they get wet. The swell up and the inside stuff comes out. 
    TTC since 7/06, found out about PCOS on 8/31/06 Dec.2007~ Metformin 1500mg, prenatals, Femara 2.5mg)(cd3-7), Gonal F 100iu(cd5-?) and Ovidrel with TI. DH~ antibiotics to improve motility (cd1-10)
    Beta #1 15dpo 298, Beta #2 18dpo 1048
    Family Blog
    Infertility Blog
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"