Birth Stories

My VBAC birth story (a little long)

At my 39 week appt I was only 50% effaced and completely closed. I was very discouraged since I really wanted to have a VBAC and I knew my best option would be to go into labor on my own.  On Saturday June 13th (according to me this is my due date, but the doctors had my due date as June 14th) anyways I woke up at 3am with menstrual like cramps and knew that the contractions had started. I started timing them and they were 3-5 mins apart for over an hour. I called the nurse triage line and they said to come into L&D. So we got there around 5am they checked me and I was only 2cm and still 50%. We decided to go home and see if the contractions would continue. Around 4pm that day I had some bloody show and the contractions were picking up. We went out to dinner, contractions were every 8-10 mins apart and all in my back just like with my first pregnancy. By the time we got home from dinner I really needed to breathe threw the contractions but they were still just 8-10 minutes apart. I waited all night to see if they would get closure together.  I tried to sleep but could not. At midnight I started timing the contractions again and they were 4-6 mins apart but very intense. I was not able to talk during the contractions so decided to call the hospital again. They said to come on in so at around 1:30am we got to the hospital.

They checked me and I was 3.5-4 cm and 50% effaced. They had me on the monitor for an hour and then let me walk the halls which I was surprised because I thought since I was a VBAC they would not let me off of the monitor at all. They told me I could walk for about 45 min; I just had to be on the monitor for 15 min out of each hour. The contractions were killing me; they were so intense in my back nothing we did would help. We tried walking, the birthing ball, swaying, and pressure on my back. I was really hoping they would admit me just so I could get the epidural. Around 4am I was checked again and now 4cm and 75% effaced, and I got to be admitted. I requested some Stadol and although I could still feel the contractions it took a little bit of the edge off until I was able to get my epidural. After the epidural I felt a lot better. I could still feel the contractions on the right side of my abdomen but that was okay because it was the right side of my back that all of the pain was in so I was able to handle the contractions. Eventually the epidural did take care of my left side I just needed to reposition myself. So I labored on?the epidural was great I could feel vaginal/rectal pressure on and off. I could feel the baby moving, it was very weird when she rotated herself and I was able to tell because I finally had pressure in a different area of my back. Around 9am I felt like I had to pee (since I had the epidural the nurse would have to straight cath me so I could void) but it was not the pressure of having to pee that I felt, it was my bag of water which sprung a leak at 9am. I thought I was peeing myself but my husband told me it was a stronger flow and definitely my water. It was clear which I was thankful for. Finally at 930 am I was checked again and now 6-7cm and she was at -1 station. Since I was only leaking fluid they further ruptured my membranes and I had a huge gush of water. The doctor also helped guide her head down a little. I was straight cathed also at this time and the combination of the rupture of membranes and 800 ml of urine out caused my blood pressure to decrease a little but the baby was doing fine and they just treated me with IV boluses. My blood pressure dropping was one of the reasons why my DS got into distress and caused the need for the c-section so we were very worried about my blood pressure, but the nurse was able to control it. DH was a fanatic watching the monitors! At 11:30am I was checked again and now 7cm and 90% effaced. It was at this time the resident who checked me commented that I still my need a c-section if I could not get past 7cm. I was not really sure why she was saying this because everything was looking fine, the baby was doing well. But I think that she thought I was not able to get past 7cm with my first pregnancy and that was why I needed the c-section.

So we prayed hard that I would continue to dilate for the next check. And low and be hold at 1:45pm when I was checked again I was now complete. I couldn?t believe it I started crying. I was so excited that I was actually going to be able to push my little girl out. I did not have the urge to push yet so they were going to let me labor down for an hour. I was able to feel her head moving down and was able to feel the pressure it was causing. It was only 15 mins later that I started feeling the urge to push so the nurse gave me some instructions and told me I could try a few pushes to see how I did. After 2 pushes we could see the top of her head, and that she had a full head of hair. I pushed for about an hour and Kaitlyn Grace was born at 3:16pm. They put her right on my stomach which was a wonderful experience. DH got to cut the cord. She was a little purple (me being the NICU nurse that I am started to dry her off and stimulate her to breath) She was not taking her first breath on her own so they to her over to the warmer bed to stimulate her further and give her some blow by oxygen. Her APGARs were 7and 9. They soon brought her back over to me since she perked up. She weighed 7 lbs 15 oz, and was 19 in long. She had a loose nuchal cord which DH said it was more draped over her shoulders. The doctors used mineral oil to help stretch me and I only had a very small 1st degree tare that did not need stitched. It was such an amazing experience and I am so happy that everything turned out the way we hoped it would. My recovery has been wonderful, I feel great and the swelling only bothered me the first couple of days. I would recommend a VBAC/vaginal birth over a c-section any day. I think the key to having a successful VBAC is to go into labor on your own, and have faith. I didn?t do anything different from my first pregnancy during my labor things just worked out this time. My doctors/nurses were very encouraging throughout my whole labor. Good luck to all of those trying for a VBAC!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: My VBAC birth story (a little long)

• I'm so happy for you:)  I'm passed my due date so they will only give me until Friday to go into labor:( Please send labor dust I really want to try VBAC!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemarltonbride:

I'm so happy for you:)  I'm passed my due date so they will only give me until Friday to go into labor:( Please send labor dust I really want to try VBAC!!

I really do hope you go into labor soon. I was told egg plant parm helps, so I had that the night before I went into labor, I do not really think it had anything to do with it but it didn't hurt to try!! I was told they could give me pitocin for induction and that was all. Good luck, I really hope you get your VBAC!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Great story!  Congratulations!  I remember you saying you hoped to VBAC a few weeks ago on another thread and I'm so happy to see you did it! 

I am a VBAC hopeful myself though we're not expecting again yet.  We are planning to put a little more than 18 months from delivery to conception to help my chances.

I see you are in PA.  Where did you have your VBAC?  Would you recommend it?  TIA!

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Congrats on the VBAC!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageGeekchick921:

Great story!  Congratulations!  I remember you saying you hoped to VBAC a few weeks ago on another thread and I'm so happy to see you did it! 

I am a VBAC hopeful myself though we're not expecting again yet.  We are planning to put a little more than 18 months from delivery to conception to help my chances.

I see you are in PA.  Where did you have your VBAC?  Would you recommend it?  TIA!

I hope you are able to VBAC next time as well!! I had 2 1/2 years between my deliveries. I had Kaitlyn at Hershey Medical Center. I also work there as a RN so I would recommend it but I would of gone there even if I didn't work there. All the docs/nurses there are very skilled and were very supportive of my decision to VBAC.

• Congratulations! I had a horrible c-section this time, and I am hoping for a VBAC next time around. It's great to read a successful VBAC birth story!
  • imageMKE6115:
    imageGeekchick921:

Great story!  Congratulations!  I remember you saying you hoped to VBAC a few weeks ago on another thread and I'm so happy to see you did it! 

I hope you are able to VBAC next time as well!! I had 2 1/2 years between my deliveries. I had Kaitlyn at Hershey Medical Center. I also work there as a RN so I would recommend it but I would of gone there even if I didn't work there. All the docs/nurses there are very skilled and were very supportive of my decision to VBAC.

Hershey is a little far from us (we're just outside Philly) but it's not entirely out of the question.  Thanks for the info and congrats again!

Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • EANEAN member
    Thanks so much for posting this!
  • EANEAN member
    imageGeekchick921:
    imageMKE6115:
    imageGeekchick921:

Hershey is a little far from us (we're just outside Philly) but it's not entirely out of the question.  Thanks for the info and congrats again!

A lot depends on your practice, but I am delivering at Abington and they will try a VBAC

• imageEAN:
    imageGeekchick921:
    imageMKE6115:
    imageGeekchick921:

A lot depends on your practice, but I am delivering at Abington and they will try a VBAC

Good luck!  I've heard mixed reviews about AMH.  I actually live about 2 1/2 miles from there right by 611 and township line.  I had my first at Holy Redeemer, but they don't do VBACs anymore.  With this one I am going farther away... Pennsylvania hospital, or possibly Lancaster Women & Babies Hospital.  I don't think I'll go further than that but I have heard a few good things online about Reading Birth & Women's center and Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown.  Regardless of where I go, I'm seeing a midwife and hiring a doula. 

Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"