LGBT Parenting

Cycle #3

Officially starts today.  We debated a bit on changing up our plan, but ultimately decided (i think...) that we'll stick w/ the same this month.  If its a no-go we'll be in a good place to re-evaluate b/c we'll be out of sperm.  It might be silly to say, but i really really hope we dont have to get there.  The decisions regarding switching donors, changing docs, trying meds/hsg/ivf, just seem really overwhelming right now. 

Re: Cycle #3

• Good Luck!  Now you ladies are leading the way as my CD1 won't be for a bit.  :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm crossing my fingers that 3 will be the charm for you!!

I think it's worth remembering that the midwives say it takes an average of 6 months (at least that is what she told me).  But like you said, hopefully you won't get to worry that decision!

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't give up hope yet (it was lucky #3 for us!)  Also I remember the midwives saying that after 3 tries they would give you clomid if you would like.  They also said the average is 6 months as well.  I also felt that the first 2 cycles were so crazy and strange that it was really the 3rd one that felt well timed and less stressful.  Good luck on #3!

• imagessg73:

Don't give up hope yet (it was lucky #3 for us!)  Also I remember the midwives saying that after 3 tries they would give you clomid if you would like.  They also said the average is 6 months as well.  I also felt that the first 2 cycles were so crazy and strange that it was really the 3rd one that felt well timed and less stressful.  Good luck on #3!

during our initial consult they said they were trying to get away from presribing meds and she basically said that we should switch to an RE if we were getting to that point....but it may be worth bringing up with her again. 

I definitely understand that 6 months is the average, but now that we're in the trenches, there is no way we'll be able to go that long without some type of change in plans.  Not to worry though....I completely realize how early in the process we are, and we're certainly feeling hopeful about #3 - i just cant help but look toward the future.

• imagectbride08:

I definitely understand that 6 months is the average, but now that we're in the trenches, there is no way we'll be able to go that long without some type of change in plans.  Not to worry though....I completely realize how early in the process we are, and we're certainly feeling hopeful about #3 - i just cant help but look toward the future.

It's funny you mention change of plans because yesterday K said we should try cycle 3 and then take a month off and find a new donor.  This totally surprised me and I asked why she thought this.  Well apparently she actually listened to me during our PCP and my talks about how we may have to switch donors after a few tries if he just doesn't mesh with my body chemistry. lol!  I can't believe she picked up on that.  However I told her that because we did get a BFP this month that it's really like trying #1 again next cycle and not to count this donor out yet.

We're planners - we can't help but look towards the future Stick out tongue

• yeah, there's a very good chance we'll switch donors if #3 isnt our month.

but i agree that you shouldnt count out yours yet, since you know he can get you pg!

• imagectbride08:

I definitely understand that 6 months is the average, but now that we're in the trenches, there is no way we'll be able to go that long without some type of change in plans.

I understand and think I would feel the same way - 6 months is a long time to try the same exact thing over and over without results.  I think a new donor after 3 bfn's is totally reasonable.  It's not going to help you get your bfp to be stressing about whether the donor is a dud!

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I really do hope #3 is it for you. It really can be overwhelming to worry about new donors, tests etc. Here's hoping you never have to do it!
  • GL with this cycle! I have also always heard that places like to try 3 months of the same (or similar) approach before they change it, but there's no "rule" about it, so if you feel comfortable with what you are doing, there's probably no harm in at least a fourth round (though I really, really hope #3 does it for you and you don't even have to worry about that!!).

That said, after 3 I would definitely say a HSG is probably worth it, even if you aren't interested in moving to meds. I did mine between #1 and #2 (actually, it was just a few days before IUI #2), and I feel much relieved to know that we actually have a shot every cycle no matter what side the dominant follicle is on (both of my tubes were clear).

We've been having the donor debate, too. This may be our last round with our favorite donor (we're on IUI #3). Our second-favorite is wayyyyy under this one, though, so I am really hoping we don't have to consider a switch!

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • imagethiswillbe:

That said, after 3 I would definitely say a HSG is probably worth it, even if you aren't interested in moving to meds. I did mine between #1 and #2 (actually, it was just a few days before IUI #2), and I feel much relieved to know that we actually have a shot every cycle no matter what side the dominant follicle is on (both of my tubes were clear).

i was thinking the same, but i'm unsure as to where we would go to have it.  I'm 98% sure the midwife's office does not do them, and our "regular" doc is a wholistic family practice and i'm 100% sure they wouldn't.  So do we go to uconn and meet w/ an RE? Or do we seek out an ob/gyn (since we'll be needing one of those once A is preg anyway)? confusing.... 

• Call your insurance and they will tell you where to go to make sure it's covered. It requires imaging equipment so not every OB might be able to do it.  It could be you could get a referral and then just go straight to an RE or imaging center.  I tend to just start with insurance so there aren't any worries later on about if it's covered or not.
  • good luck! i think it's a good call to stick with the plan for this month, especially if you've already purchased the goods. you can talk in the meantime about what you want to do if it doesn't work and make a plan for the future (that you hopefully won't need). we were overwhelmed when we had to make those decisions about donors and meds, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"