Special Needs

Question about fish oil and omega 3's for speech delay.

I was wondering if any of you can recommend a brand or dosage of omega 3 for my son. ?He is 2 years old and has a speech delay. ?I have him on spectrum toddler DHA without fish oil however it doesn't seem like a high enough dosage. ?The whole topic confuses me and I can't find any concrete dosages anywhere. ?I also don't know if he should have fish oil or DHA without the fish oil. ?

I would appreciate any first hand experience advice.

Thank you so much.

?

Re: Question about fish oil and omega 3's for speech delay.

• I'm curious about the same thing. I'm trying to experiment with Omega-3, but the only think I can find for kids is in gummy form, and my son refuses them! Can you share what you have tried specifically?
  • If you still have the gummies you can call the manufacturer and see if the okay melting them in a small amount of water in the microwave for 10 or 15 second and then adding it to juice. ?That's what I do with my sons multi since he too will not eat gummies and I was given the okay by the company that makes them.

?As far as the DHA I can only find it in the organic section of my supermarket. ?It is Spectrum brand liquid DHA for toddlers. ?Recommended dosage is 1 ml and it contains 300 mg ALA, 125mg of DHA and 9 mg of EPA. ?He has just been taking this kind for about a week. ?A while before this I had him taking the kind for 3+ which was capsules and I would just break them into his milk. ?I believe the amounts of each was higher and I felt that I noticed a change in his speech quickly (new words, clearer). ?

After the first bottle I couldn't find them in the store, so I got the gummies (disney brand with DHA, which I melt and add to juice) but they hardly only contain 100 mg of DHA and it is from oil. ?I felt like I stopped seeing an improvement and I just now switched to this new kind.?

I just haven't been able to find anything conclusive about if the DHA should come from fish oil or it can be made without. ?I feel like most testimonies I hear of people seeing improvements from it say that its fish oil that they give the child. ?I don't feel comfortable buying him regular fish oil capsules since I have no idea of the childrens dosage. ??

• Loading the player...
  • Interesting the you mention the liquid capsul Omega-3, because I wondered whether or not these were appropriate for children. I do still have the gummies and will call the manufacturer about whether or not they are safe to melt. They are the "LilCritters" brand with 120 mg of Omega 3. Thanks for the info.!
  • I believe the capsules were for 3+ and that it was recommended 4 capsules daily. ?I just started with 2 and worked my way up to 4 with no problems.?
  • At the rec. of our dev. pedi DS takes one packet of the coromega orange fish-oil.  it's a pudding like consistency and tastes like a creamsicle - he LOVES it.  the dosage rec. to us was one packet for every 25 lbs. 

you can get it at most GNC's but we order it from vitacost.com at a fraction of the price.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"