Special Needs

IEP; Making sense of "Free & Appropriate Public Education"

Our IEP is next Monday & I am trying to get all my files/paperwork/thoughts together to best advocate. While I don't know scores on standardized testing yet, I do know DS will have done so well on them we will have to rely on observations for him to qualify. He just thrives on those things.

So, I am trying to wrap my mind around what EDUCATION is really supposed to be. I get the 'appropriate' part doesn't mean 'best', I get the 'free' part only means my out-of-pocket expense. But, in order for me to argue his case, I really need to have a solid understanding of what they feel is important for his EDUCATIONAL NEEDS (something that is changing drastically from current EI services). He has the information - colors, numbers, adding, reading, word recognition, etc.... but at what point do they recognize that Knowledge in and of itself doesn't = education? He doesn't need help learning colors, letters, etc... But he needs a LOT of help figuring out how to use them appropriately.

What exactly IS Education?

A friend found this earlier:  The mission of the Exceptional Children Division is to assure that students with disabilities and those who are academically or intellectually gifted develop mentally, physically, emotionally, and vocationally through the provision of an appropriate individualized education in the least restrictive environment.

I like that a lot, but is that what they value for THIS evaluation of needs?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: IEP; Making sense of "Free & Appropriate Public Education"

• A child's education only becomes a concern when the child's ability to aquire information like their peers is different or becomes a struggle and/or the child learns at a slower rate than their peers; to the point where they are significantly behind. IEP's are great for getting "the team" onboard as far as what skills they all need to be working on. It's a legal document, which has to be followed. The goals for a child should be individual and unique to that child's strengths and weaknesses. If you have any questions at the IEP, don't hesitate to ask. :) (I'm a special ed. teacher; sorry for rambling)

• It should be...I have just taken a training course for my local school district to serve as a parent member. Remember that you are entitled to have one present at all your meetings (at least in my town you are). Pragmatic skills are just as important as academic skills, and should be included on the IEP. Your speech and psych evals should support your concerns. Good Luck!  You are such a strong Mom who is doing everthing you can...it will all pay off in the end!
  • Loading the player...
  • The best advice I can give to you is to higher an educational advocate. I'm in MA, and my son transitioned from EI to the public school system @ 3. Like you, we struggled with trying to get the right services in a system very much dictated by dollar signs rather than specific needs :( The system is difficult to navigate and an advocate knows the laws, and the people to contact.

(((Hugs))) Be strong!

• Thank you for ALL the responses.... Auntie, I knew you would hit the nail on the head of what I needed to hear.

#7 "I have no idea what you mean about using colors appropriately, you've lost me."

Mostly that was confusing b/c I was trying not to make my question into a book.  I mean that I am hearing all sorts of things from the therapists (all trying to prepare me for what THIS school system/team are known for) about the standardized testing being a dealbreaker for getting services if he passes with flying colors. So, what I meant is that SURE he can acquire the information that this is red, blue, green, etc...  But USING that info for the reasons it is important to know it (unlike what he does: point&label) has to be what they are looking for in education. Not just the aquisition of the knowledge itself. So, I want to be 100% clear and factual of what THEIR idea of EDUCATION is when I show up there on Monday. Because I will not accept that b/c his cognitive skills ( i wont even call it academic) aged out with the test (5, 6 years old... I dont know) he doesn't need help with his education. It is a concensus that in this district they are not weighing Pragmatic useage/skills enough.  

That whole paragraph may STILL not make sense. If not, I am certain it is because my brain is mush tonight. I have about 15 different organization's handouts about IDEA & I have been scouring for all too long tonight. 

#8. A LIST of what 3 year olds should be able to do/are doing is what I've been searching for all night. Not some lame website, but a real list with merit. I'd like to know what they're comparing him to. Maybe I'll find something (tomorrow) with that Zero Order Skills thing you suggested. I've never heard of it.

#3. That is (thankfully) a strength of mine. Until I get on here and need to let the steam pour out ;)

#4. LRE: I want him in a bit more restrictive environment (without calling it that) if we can get that for most of the reasons you stated. Plus, he really gets lost in a class with more kids - and our mainstream classes are all like 25 kids even for Preschool. 

I've got a herd of people coming with me ;) Our whole team has become SO awesome and perfect for DS FINALLY after all this time of frustration etc... It is clear that he has made an impact b/c they are all offering to come and help him get what he needs even before I asked them.

Ok. Sleep! Thanks Auntie 

• #7. Thank you. That is EXACTLY what I know. I wish that the professionals in THIS community realized all of this. Because THEY are the ones who are leery about giving services to 3 year olds that do what my son does - which is just another form of 'loving Thomas'..... he's 'loving numbers/letters'. 

The comment I got was "We cannot anticipate what he WILL do, just what he is doing right now" - FROM the Psych who was administering the Vineland - all the while re-questioning me on ALL the answers I was unwilling to say he had 'emerging' skills in. She asked me if he could get a candy bar wrapper open. I said NO. She said, well what about a gum wrapper...and I politely asked her if she meant the little silver wrapper that is already open & I said yes, but that is not the same at all & are you allowed to change the question on the test?

There's my example of the 'battle' I'm getting. I was trying to be as accurate as possible on that thing. I made sure I had an example in my head for each answer before I answered & when I just flat out said 'No, he's NEVER done that' she didn't beleive me and started rattling off the next best list of choices. 

So my problem is more about GETTING HIM IN and GETTING an IEP than it is even of formulating the best one.....

Anxiety raising ---- not understanding why everyone else seems to understand this about ASD kids, but not the people in this Preschool program. The Special Ed teacher DID seem to get it, but the SLP and Psych were not paying attention to them playing together.

I will admit that noone has told me 'NO he wont get services yet', but that is what everyone around me is preparing me for. Because that is exactly what THIS team is known for.

I know not to get all heated or go in with 2 fists raised. I just need to have a lot of facts & talking through this helps me figure out WHAT facts I need to have with me. Because he CERTAINLY has the NEED.  

#8. That is my plan. He can't be 'educated' if he doesn't have the pragmatics. I just wasn't 100% sure that was a fact. I'm trying to find that in writing somewhere - or at least a better definition of what education is. 

We will be moving out of state within about a year - so for now - I'm just going to make sure they know all I can give them about DS & advocate to the best I can. If he is denied services, I really can't afford preschool - though that is exactly what he needs at this point. I can certainly find other outlets if needed. 

• ****** Trying not to anticipate******* 

like you said, but there is a fine line when you're trying to anticipate what information you need to take/knowledge of the system you need to have - when this is the first time. Not that I don't want to understand the whole thing, but it is neverending!!!!

I'm ready to get back to regular life where I know what my son's struggles are, but they don't have to be FOCUSED on. TWO weeks between an assessment and the meeting to discuss the findings is enough to drive me insane.

So, you can count some of my comments from insanity... LOL 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"