D.C. Area Babies

Would you use a hand-me-down crib?

My brother and SIL are offering me their crib (a Pali) from about 2001. I haven't looked at it yet, but am sure they kept it in good shape, with the exception of normal wear and tear (they've had 2 kids use it). I would get a new mattress for it.

Would you use it?

Re: Would you use a hand-me-down crib?

• If I knew the previous owners and confident that they took good care of it. 
  • Yes, just make sure it hasn't been recalled or anything. We have 2 cribs and one is a hand-me-down from a friend. I know she took good care of it and we got the parts necessary to fix it since it was recalled.
    Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Sure, since you know it was well cared for. I just wouldn't buy one from somebody I didn't know.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I don't see why not. DD's crib is a hand-me-down from my sister... I also got lucky because Babies R' US was still selling the bedroom set... so I was able to purchase the matching dresser/hutch.
  • Yep.  I took a hand-me-down from my sister.  I did check the web for recalls, first.
  • In your situation, yes. 

As pp said, just check for recalls!  :)

And,be careful to not lose any pieces in the move.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • no
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FYI - if you do lose any parts, you can call the company, give them the model # & they will send you the parts that are missing.

With DD's crib, my sister couldn't find the hardware at first. I called the company and they sent me the hardware, free of charge. Of course after the hardware arrived, my sister found hers!

• imageSoonToBeMrsDTS:
    Yes, just make sure it hasn't been recalled or anything. We have 2 cribs and one is a hand-me-down from a friend. I know she took good care of it and we got the parts necessary to fix it since it was recalled.

ditto. we are inheriting a crib that was used for our niece & nephew. MIL has already looked up the recall status and ordered the replacement parts (which seem like really minor fixes).

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We're also getting one from our friends. Good to know you can call for replacement parts!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yep. My sister gave me hers. I was freaking out about it at first but I'm really comfortable now. I checked for recalls.
  • Totally!  :)   What a great way to "recycle", and you can add your own personality to it through the bedding.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It would depend on when the currentcrib safety standards went into effect.  I would def. double check that if I were you (1999 comes to mind, but I may be wrong).  Even if there were no recalls, but it was made before the current safety standards, I would not.
  • We are planning on using a close friends crib.  We already inherited a dresser from my DH grandmother so we knew we wouldn't have "matching" furniture.  The dresser can be used for life and the little one won't be in the crib for that long so I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
    - Andrea
    My Etsy Page

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"