Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Can I freeze baby food in old Beech Nut jars?

I'm making some of my own baby food, and just wondering if these freeze ok!? TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Can I freeze baby food in old Beech Nut jars?

• No, they are glass and they will break.
  • I tried this.  They exploded in the microwave when I tried to thaw them.  I do not recommend it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD1 - july 2008
    DD2 - may 2010
    DS - sept 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • June, that's odd... I freeze turkey broth from fresh roasted turkeys all the time and i've never had the jars break...

I also do the same w/homemade tomato sauce.

I've even defrosted them partway in the microwave and haven't had them break either.

I'd still try it but just not fill them up all the way and see what happens. Maybe try 1 or 2 jars just in case something does happen.  And try to let them defrost in the fridge or room temperature before heating them in the microwave.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Every time I've tried freezing in glass it's been a mess.  It's worth a shot though.
  • *Bre**Bre* member
    imagelmdbww:

June, that's odd... I freeze turkey broth from fresh roasted turkeys all the time and i've never had the jars break...

I also do the same w/homemade tomato sauce.

I've even defrosted them partway in the microwave and haven't had them break either.

I'd still try it but just not fill them up all the way and see what happens. Maybe try 1 or 2 jars just in case something does happen.  And try to let them defrost in the fridge or room temperature before heating them in the microwave.

You shouldn't take a glass container from freezer to microwave. When I was a waitress, I broke a couple of coffee pots because we would pour the coffee and accidentally bump it into the ice water and the coffee pot would shatter. You have to let the glass warm up beforehand. If PP is going to try it, be sure when you thaw that you stick it in the fridge at the beginning of the day or overnight to thaw.

• i have done this successfully. just dont fill the jars to the top, leave some room for air. and dont go straight from the freezer to the microwave.

when i was making purees i would pull about 2 days worth out of the freezer and let them thaw in the fridge. by the time i was ready to use them, 30 seconds in the microwave was all that was needed. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"