Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Lost in translation...

So apparently I speak a different language than my sisters and there are a lot of things that get lost in the translation from my language to theirs.

Perfect example:

I wash clothes on Saturday; they have a basket in their room for the dirty clothes.  They bring the basket down stairs so I can wash, when everything is clean, it goes back up stairs, put in the drawers, and that empty basket gets used for the next week's clothes.  Not too hard huh? 

So I said " Take your clothes upstairs and put them away, leave the basket in you room for your dirty clothes for this week. "

What they hear:  "leave the clean clothes in the basket and put the dirty clothes on top of the clean clothes."  They say this is OK, because they have the clothes separated from the dirty clothes (all in the same basket. LOL)

Can someone tell me what language I need to learn to talk to an 8 year old?

Re: Lost in translation...

• Options
    Is that Vulcan?  Or Klingon?  ;)  I have no idea.
  • Options
    Follow up. When Alyssa knows that I am going to be checking to make sure she has done what I asked it always gets done. Laundry is a big one at our house too. I tell her to put it up and then I go into her room about 20 minutes later to ensure it's been put up otherwise it finds itself under the bed :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I tried to pull crap like that on my mom when I was that age ... whenever she caught me, she'd make me do my laundry that week.  Totally worked  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options

My mother always says that its at this age the aliens come and steal their brain...so maybe Klingon was a good idea!

LOL

my 10yo is the same way.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"