Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Peanuts....

Hi everyone!! I have a quick question.  I have two friends of mine who have children with peanut allergies.  They said that the allergies may have been caused by them eating alot of peanuts (or any nuts) and peanut butter throughout their pregnancy.  Has anyone else heard of this? Or does anyone know someone who ate nuts during their pregnancy and their child doesn't have this food allergy?

I am only asking because I have been craving peanut butter for a while now but I am afraid to eat it because of this reason.  TIA!! Big Smile

Re: Peanuts....

• Options

Eat it!

And have a lunch meat sandwich while you are at it. Wash it all down with a diet coke. Big Smile

I am serious.

• Options
    imagemustangsallie:

Eat it!

And have a lunch meat sandwich while you are at it. Wash it all down with a diet coke. Big Smile

I am serious.

LMAO at Sallie.

To the OP, I am pretty sure that is just an old wives tail. I was never told that PB was to be avoided during pregnancy.

Stay off the sauce, don't smoke, limit your raw fish consumption, but please don't fret about what you eat. I wish someone had told me to unclench a little bit when I was pregnant.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think you're okay eating peanut butter, I honestly don't remember being told NOT to due to this reason.  I think you're okay, really. 

and I'm sorry - this post made me laugh right out loud.  I'm so glad you asked it here rather than on 1st Tri, really.  Did your OB give you a list of not-to-eat foods?  If not, I would maybe call him/her and ask if there is one - some have them, some do not.  Mine only said "You're not eating for two and don't eat sushi", the second part of which I ignored, hee.  Anyways.  Ask your OB, and I would also invest in a book like "Your Pregnancy Week-By-Week", it's a great resource.  Around seven months PG I would start reading books like Baby411 so you're actually prepared a little bit for your little one.  :D

• Options
    imagemustangsallie:

Eat it!

I am serious.

Don't forget the feta cheese, hee.  ;)

• Options

Thanks you guys!  I am trying not to be paranoid about every little thing I eat but sometimes it is hard. But I definately going home and having a PB and J sandwich tonight!!

Sallie.....You made me laugh!! Smile

• Options

Creamy- I don't think my doctor did give me "Do Not Eat" list; but it may be in the paperwork he gave me and I have just looked over it.  I will look tonight but I do know when I asked him he said just say away from the raw fish.

And I'm glad I made you laugh with my post!  I would much rather post here than the 1st trimester board....you guys are alot nicer then they are over there!

• Options
    I don't have an article, but they told pregnant women in the UK to avoid peanuts, pb, and peanut oil etc, and peanut allergies soared a few days later. This comes from some of DH's co-workers from the UK.
    I will kick cancer's ass Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx Breast Cancer 4/2012 Invasive ductal carcinoma triple negative Currently on Taxol, start A & C in August
  • Options
    imageglmeadows781:

Creamy- I don't think my doctor did give me "Do Not Eat" list; but it may be in the paperwork he gave me and I have just looked over it.  I will look tonight but I do know when I asked him he said just say away from the raw fish.

And I'm glad I made you laugh with my post!  I would much rather post here than the 1st trimester board....you guys are alot nicer then they are over there!

Precisely why you can always ask here.  We've been there, done that.  Granted, we will poke fun at you if you ask a very, very silly question, but in no way will it reach the levels that 1st Tri gets.  We like the funny snark, not the mean crap.  :)

• Options
    Once I was actually able to keep food down I ate plenty of pb and DD isn't allergic.
  • Options

Definatly listen to your doctor on things to avoid and things that are okay.

But to answer your question and not to freak you out, yes I have heard this before. A teacher I worked with had a child with a peanut allergy and the doctor's believed that one of the things that may have caused it was the mother craving peanut butter during pregnancy. This was about 7 years ago and they have come farther in their research so not sure if this is still believed to be a cause and have no heard it since.

I can honestly say I ate peanuts and peanut butter during my pregnancy and never gave it a second thought.

• Options

I ate peanut butter every single day for the entire third trimester.   I can't stand it now, but oh man did I NEEEED it.  Daily.

DD is fine.  She loves peanut butter.

DD#1 is such a big girl! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I actually have heard that. My coworker has a daughter with a peanut allergy and her doctor told her it was because she ate A LOT of peanut butter during pregnancy. The little girl is 12, so when she told me I thought it was an outdated piece of information.

My doctor told me not to worry about what I ate. Even said sushi was okay, although I don't like it.

I am sure you are fine. If it makes you nervous, eat it in moderation. 

• Options

I would eat peanut butter by the spoonful during my pregnancy. Don't listen to what your friends tell you. only listen to what the doc tells you - if you're going to listen to anyone at all.

I started to read the list of "do not eat" my doc gave me but by the time I was half way through the first page (yes there were about three or four pages to this thing) I wanted to do nothing but go out, have some sushi and a big greek salad covered in feta cheese - which I did. :)

Don't be paranoid. I know everyone tells you that and you're still going to be because all you hear when you're pregnant is people saying "oooh! don't do that! you'll hurt your baby!" it's a load of crap if you ask me.

Use common sense. As long as you're a sensible person, just go with what your instinct says. ?

• Options
    This post is really making me want a peanut butter and honey sandwich!
  • Options

I've heard it for people who have a family history of peanut allergies. The second daughter of one of my friends is allergic to peanuts. She has a third daughter now, and avoided PB her whole pregnancy and the entire time she nursed, and she's also waiting to introduce PB to her daughter (who is 2 now). She's pregnant with her fourth right now and doing the same thing. She figures hey, it's worth a shot if it helps her kids avoid deadly allergies.

On the flip side, we have no family history of peanut allergies, I ate PB during my pregnancy, and DD is not allergic. I plan to do the same with this baby.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options
    imageflyer23:

I've heard it for people who have a family history of peanut allergies. The second daughter of one of my friends is allergic to peanuts. She has a third daughter now, and avoided PB her whole pregnancy and the entire time she nursed, and she's also waiting to introduce PB to her daughter (who is 2 now). She's pregnant with her fourth right now and doing the same thing. She figures hey, it's worth a shot if it helps her kids avoid deadly allergies.

On the flip side, we have no family history of peanut allergies, I ate PB during my pregnancy, and DD is not allergic. I plan to do the same with this baby.

I think that whether or not your family has a history of nut allergies would make quite a difference. We don't and my pedi (and research I have done) suggests that late introduction contributes to allergies.

DD had PB at 10 months and loves it. No problemo.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJessibell:
    imageflyer23:

I think that whether or not your family has a history of nut allergies would make quite a difference. We don't and my pedi (and research I have done) suggests that late introduction contributes to allergies.

DD had PB at 10 months and loves it. No problemo.

Ditto Jess! 

Sophia Kate 3.31.08 BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"