Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Toddler toys for a plane ride?

We're flying in a month to visit my family and I'm scared out of my mind! Camden does not like to sit still, especially in our laps. What are some toys that are easy to travel with that your child loves to play with? We bought a travel doodle pro for a trip we just got back from (6 hour car ride) and it entertained him for 5 minutes lol.

Re: Toddler toys for a plane ride?

• Options
    I am interested in this too. ?I am flying with DS in a month to visit my mom. ?He will be 10 months old and I am scared. ?He did fine on the flight when he was 4 months old. ?I think some of the others are flying with their LOs soon so I am waiting to see what worked and didn't work for them.
  • Options
    We flew with C at 8 months and he did great - he slept most of the time ;) Hopefully at 10 months your DC will do the same!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We flew with ds from CA to Boston at xmas and that was tough. ?He isn't one to sleep on us, he needs his bed, so it was a challenge. ?We just had lots of snacks and let him go up and down the aisles. ?We also didn't have a seat for him, I think that would have helped a lot.

?

• Options

DD isn't quite as old as your LO, but she is quite the independent wiggle worm. She can eat her weight in Cheerios on a plane. Getting extra cups from the flight attendants helps keep her occupied. Books that she has never seen before are good. Keep your fingers crossed for someone who will play peek-a-boo with him from behind your seat or across the aisle.

One thing that did NOT work for us was a little portable dvd player. The whole time I tried to use it she kept trying to push the buttons. We never got past the previews.

• Options

We travel a ton - things that always go with us.....

Box of Bandaids - this keeps my little one entertained for a while, let him stick them wherever, it takes less than 5 minutes to clean up but forever to get the paper off and stuff

New Can of PlayDoh and a new cookie cutter

Color Magic Markers - it doesn't matter what they color it will only work on the paper - they can color the seats, themselvers, anything

Cars and Trains

Lots of snacks and cups, let them do whatever with the cups and snacks

A New Book about Bugs or Dinosaurs or Tractors (My little boys three favorite things)

Those things combined with walking up the aisles get us through flights.  

• Options
    imagetechdg26:

We travel a ton - things that always go with us.....

Box of Bandaids - this keeps my little one entertained for a while, let him stick them wherever, it takes less than 5 minutes to clean up but forever to get the paper off and stuff

New Can of PlayDoh and a new cookie cutter

Color Magic Markers - it doesn't matter what they color it will only work on the paper - they can color the seats, themselvers, anything

Cars and Trains

Lots of snacks and cups, let them do whatever with the cups and snacks

A New Book about Bugs or Dinosaurs or Tractors (My little boys three favorite things)

Those things combined with walking up the aisles get us through flights.  

This is AWESOME help for my trip on Saturday ... THANK YOU!  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options

My daughter is 18montths old and i have traveled with her 6 times since her birth. Up to when she was 1, she would basically sleep on the plane. The older she got and more challengening it became. I suggest you take a pm flight when you know he will sleep for sure cause its night time and also because its dark out. That worked for my daughter. For short trips (one hour or less), i have used her portable dvd...

Hope it helps:)?

• Options
    Cups and snacks have worked for my daughter too, headphones as well.
  • Options

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll definitely be going shopping for some new books that he's not worn out on, maybe some plastic cups haha.

Unfortunately, the only non-stop flight we could get was at 8am, so no PM flights for us :( but he does take a nap in the mornings, so MAYBE... just maybe... he'll sleep.

• Options
    We haven't taken one, yet... but these are all great suggestions... thanks! 
  • Options
    My MIL was on a flight from London to Chicago next to a 14 month old and they had pretty much all of the above mentioned.  Also, they say in the bulk head section so the toddler could sit on the floor - something to think about when booking your flight next time.
  • Options
    We just got back from a flight to Phoenix and my son CANNOT sit still EVER so I totally understand and empathize with your anxiety!  I felt the same way!  Everyone said, "Oh, you'll be surprised at how he'll do!"  He did pretty well...got a little ticked off a time or two b/c we had to hold him and wouldn't let him run down the aisle, but he did okay overall.  I definitely couldn't have done it without my DH along!  I don't have that much patience!!! ;)  He, like your son, is not entertained for more than 1-2 minutes with anything and will not watch T.V./movies, etc.  I took along playdoh, a doodle pro, a view master with Clifford slides as he likes Clifford. (That probably entertained him for 3 minutes! ;), new Clifford/Elmo books, snacks, candy/gum (bad, but for the plane, I didn't care!).  My son was quite intrigued with putting the tray tables up and down!  I was so afraid the people in the seats in front of us were going to get annoyed!  He also enjoyed playing a game on DH's Blackberry so if you have that pull that trick out of the bag too! ;)  Thankfully on the way home we were able to get a set of 2 seats instead of the 3 seats so we didn't annoy anyone next to us!!  Good luck, you'll manage!!
  • Options
    I also bought the Color Wonder Markers and coloring book at Wal-Mart....he liked that for a minute! ;)  I tried to think of everything possible that I could tote!  A friend suggested a role of scotch tape, but didn't bring that!  Always another option!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"