Maryland Babies

Finding Daycare on Craigslist?

How do you feel about searching for daycare providers/nannies on Craigslist?  Do you think it's safe?  What others ways are there to find decent daycare?

Re: Finding Daycare on Craigslist?

• I personally wouldn't do it.  I don't feel its safe at all.

In anne arundel county, there is a child care line that will help you find licensed child care.  Its called LocateChildCare here.  I bet you could find one in your county, maybe through the school system.

• I am interested in this too!  I have found it nearly impossible to locate decent infant childcare for my LO due in December
  • Loading the player...
  • Like most sources, online or not, you have to be really, really careful when searching for childcare.  We were lucky and found a fantastic sitter on CL.  We love her to bits and she has been great.  Of course, I contacted as many references as possible before hiring her.  I also did a lot of Google searching, news searching, etc.

You can always go with a sitter placement firm, if you are looking for private care - many of them do background checks.  For something like sittercity.com, you may need to run your own background check.

If you're looking for a center or in-home care, I know that AACo has an online listing of licensed providers.  However, that just means that they have a license - it doesn't actually mean that they are good.  Folks who live a street behind me have a licensed, home-based center, and the kids are inside watching tv all day (can see through big front window).

• I found a fabluous in-home licensed day care provider on CL.  He provided all her licensing information on her ad...any licensed providers do.  She also showed me all of her credentials when we met.  I think you should be cautious in searching for daycare no matter what references you use.  I think CL is another way to search....worked out for me!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We found our first childcare provider through a post we made on CL (a PT nanny who was also a student), as well as our current provider - a home-based licensed provider.  The state actually maintains a list that you can get or print on a county-by-county basis, but like a PP said, it's not that helpful - it's just a list of providers, and I found that none of them had openings for an infant, esp PT.  By contrast, I knew there was an opening at our current place before I called, because she had advertised. I found the interview process was more important than how I found providers.  We interviewed other people/centers I was much less impressed with, and mostly found them through resources other than CL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"