Illinois Babies
Options

Relocating...where to live in Chicago?

We may be relocating to Chicago for a new job for DH. Not sure if we are going to live in the city or suburbs. What are the best places to live for a family w/ a 3 yr. old and 3 month old. I'm looking for suggestions both in the city and nearby suburbs. Thanks so much! :-)

Re: Relocating...where to live in Chicago?

• Options
    kpips20kpips20 member
    I'm in the same boat. DH and I may also be relocating to Chicago this summer with our 3 month old and received a few recommendations from friends. I think we're going to focus on the Hawthorne Woods/Lake Zurich area which I *think* is about 45 minutes from Downtown?

• Options
    What area is DH's job? Does he care about a commute?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

there are so many areas. where is his job in the city or suburbs? i have lived in both the city and suburbs and can give you details about alot of the outlying areas. don't forget somthing that is 45 minsw away is about 2 hours in traffic!  I moved to a suburb about 40 mins from the city by always have to alot over an hour most days to get down there....

i would be happy to help just let me know what you are looking for...school districts are important if you don't want to pay for private and accessibility to the expressway is also important if you have to commute into the city.

• Options

His job would be in the city. I am not sure if we will live in the city itself or a suburb. I do not want something with a long commute for him at all. I live outside of NYC now so totally understand what you mean about how traffic changes everything!

If you could give me some suggestions for neighborhoods in the city that are family friendly and some suburb towns with good schools that are close by that would be great.

Thanks so much! :-) Michelle

• Options
    Keep in mind that a great way to bypass the traffic is by taking Metra.  Look into some towns that have a station.  www.metrarail.com .
    Married 6/15/2007

J born 4/11/2011

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Chicago

Edgebrook: DH and I moved to Edgebrook 4 1/2 years ago.  It feels like a suburb within the city.  It is absolutely beautiful and close to everything. The public school is also ranked as one of the best in the city.  It's in walking distance to the metra.  The Edens Expressway is about 5 mintues away.  Your driving commute to DT is about 20 minutes w/o traffic.

https://iirc.niu.edu/School.aspx?schoolID=150162990252183

Sauganash:  Very close to Edgebrook.  Less expensive but still very, very nice.  Great area with the same suburb feel.  Good school.

NorthPark: Is much larger than the other two but has beautiful areas.  Peterson Park and Hollywood Park are both very nice and quiet.  Peterson Park and Hollywood Park both fall within the North Park area.  Peterson Park is east of Sauganah and Edgebrook is west of Sauganash. 

Norwood Park is also very nice.

Lincoln Park and Lake View are also nice areas but very urban.  Single family homes are few and expensive.  I'm assuming you are looking for a SFH because you mentioned the suburbs.   

Suburbs

Any North Shore Suburb: Highland Park, Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe, etc.  By far my favorite and by far the most expensive. 

River Forest and Oak Park are nice but have some shady areas

Naperville is known for it's schools and it's actually a great suburb

Wheaton: Known as the bible belt of America, is a very nice suburb to rear children

Glen Ellyn: My sister lives here.  It is a BEAUTIFUL suburb.  The schools are great. 

I also love Hinsdale.

Lincolnwood: borders Edgebrook, Peterson Park, and Sauganash.  Very closer to DT and Metra.  It is a small beautiful suburb.  Schools are also good.

Evanston:  close to the lake, close to public transportation.  Has some shady parts but has some beautiful areas.  The areas near Northwestern University are my favorite.

Thank you TTCAL and IF board. "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Miscarried December of 2008, Ectopic Pregnancy November of 2009

IVF #1 = BFN | IVF #2 = BFP: 9dp5dt (399), 14dp5dt (2489)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:6,7
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicIn loving memory of MrsTyson's precious Julia
  • Options

blessed- great job with the review

another good chicago neighborhood is jefferson park

I grew up in Oak Park and have many friends there. It is still a great area with great schools but it is very urban. nice commute since the el goes there and the metra too! otherwise only 15-20 mins by car to the loop if no rushhour of course.

I am a fan of the western suburbs but may be bias as I grew up in Oak Park and my husband grew up in Glen Ellyn (another great suburb....long car commute but not bad on the metra as the station is right in the middle of town).

good luck hunting.

• Options

I would highly suggest the west burbs.. Naperville for one is a great town to raise kids, and schools are some of the top in the state.  There are 2 metra stations as well to get to the city.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I would also recommend the Western Burbs as I grew up There.  Naperville  can be very far depending on the commute you want.  But, I double, triple suggest Oak Park or River Forest.  All of RV is nice, and most of Oak Park.  Are you renting or buying?  If you're renting try this:

https://www.apartmentsoakpark.org/

It's a free service.  You can specify exaclty what you do and do not want in an apartment (vintage/new, wood/carpet, elevator/stairs/1st floor, price, and much more) and they'll generate a list for you.  It's a great option (as a landlord I've used it every time I've found new tenants).

• Options
    we live in the park ridge/niles/morton grove/mount prospect area and love it.
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    oh and just moved here a year ago from the twin cities!
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    We are from the east coast, but have lived in Wicker Park since 2003 and love it.  We love it here and it is great til the kids are school age.  We are expecting our first now, and are considering moving in 4-6 years to La Grange/Western Springs or Glen Ellyn.  Dh's office is in Lisle, and most of our friends have settled in that area.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"