Baby Showers

Evites as the invites?

I am not sure if this is already on here - so sorry if it is!?

My MIL has offered to have a shower for us and she wants to send evites - is that tacky? ?Should I just be thankful she wants to throw a shower - or suggest traditional invites?

TIA?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Evites as the invites?

• I think it all depends on the situation and guests. ?For example, my DH's family is throwing a BBQ Mommy and Daddy Shower but it's for all his family and some of mine, she did the traditional invites. ?My friend here in town is throwing a Mommy and Daddy BBQ for all our friends and is sending evites. ?They are both informal, but all our friends are online and prefer the evite because it sends reminders, etc and keeps track of who is in or out.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • we did this and it worked great!...but we had a nontraditional catered coed baby party!

• Loading the player...
  • You may get some responses that say it is tacky... IMO, it's not.  It's a shower invitation, not a wedding invite!

The only reason I think that Evites aren't always practical is considering the guest list.  If any elderly (or even non-computer literate) guests are going to be invited, how would Evites work? 

If this shower is going to be for a younger, computer-savvy crowd, I say, go for it. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Be careful. This recently caused some hurt feelings among the drama queen contingent in my family. Email addresses change and some people don't really use email so then you have to send both evites to the one group and physical invites to the other group. What a pain.
    Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tacky...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't find it tacky. I've gotten e-vites for showers/parties before and I think it's nice because you get reminders...then again, I'm on my computer ALL THE TIME. So it may not work so great for your 90 year old great-grandma.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl
  • i think it just depends on your guests.  i don't think it's tacky, just make sure if the evite is the only method of communication that it's an email address that get's checked regularly.   
  • A colleague's MIL did this for her shower and she was totally opposed to the idea.  She believed that if people were going to take time from their weekend schedules and bring a gift, the least the hostess could do was send them a proper invite.  Turns out that few responded because they went to junk mail. 

• IMO, very tacky unless it's: a) Casual co-ed party, b) Casual co-worker party, or c) Casual shower thrown for just a small group of friends

It doesn't sound like your MIL is planning on throwing any of those. For all the reasons listed above, you should send paper invites (make sure people get them, more official or formal, etc.).

• I don't think there is anything wrong with evites. It all depends on the guests that are being invited. Most of my family isn't into the whole internet/email thing. So they would need a traditional invites. I don't see a problem with it. Plus if you MIL is hosting your shower then she has say of what invites to put out. So it shouldn't look tacky on you to anyone cause your not the host. :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We had to do evites because we were in a time cruch. It really depends on the audience. We had a shower thrown with all of our friends who are very much online and would see an Evite before a handwritten invitation. If it was family or "older" people who are not tech savy, then a handwritten invite may be the best.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"