LGBT Parenting

daycare, eek

Out of curiosity, i priced it by my work last night. $350/week for infants. EEK. I imagine its cheaper in the suburbs than around McPenntrification land in the city, but still...

Re: daycare, eek

• I think $350 is probably really good for a lot of areas.  If we use the staff daycare at my work it's about $200-250 a week.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • isnt it crazy?? That's the going price around here for centers. home daycares are more like $200-250/week.  i cant even phathom the cost for more than one kid!
  • Loading the player...
  • I know it's a lot, but when you break it down to what the providers get paid her hour (especially in a home daycare like CT mentioned) to do the very difficult job of caring for little ones 40 hours per week, it doesn't come out to an obscenely high salary.

My mom has a home daycare, and from the beginning she had clients complain about her rates, when if you did the math, she wasn't making making much more than minnimum wage (she lives in the burbs and only has a few clients).  For example, at the $350/week you quoted, that's 8.75/hr for someone to care for your infant.  It is a huge expense, but you have to keep it in perspective.

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I know its not much per hour...but still daunting...

on my current salary, we'd just over break even after student loans and daycare, with nothing going to savings. sigh. It might make sense for me to stay home for a year and just stretch C's salary (since we could cut the expenses a bit if need be)

• imagecookiemonster03:

I know its not much per hour...but still daunting...

on my current salary, we'd just over break even after student loans and daycare, with nothing going to savings. sigh. It might make sense for me to stay home for a year and just stretch C's salary (since we could cut the expenses a bit if need be)

It's absolutely still daunting. And I know what mean - there'd be no point in my working with what we'd pay for good childcare here in the city.  I just think it's helpful to remember what you're paying for.  Good luck with figuring it all out.

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It's so scary. Really good ones out here are a fortune. As former teachers S and I are super picky. LMC will never go to school at this rate LOL.

I hope you find a great place at  just the right price.

• We will be paying 255/week for 4 days of care next year.  This is a really great rate and were happy to get it.  Thank god my mum is watching the baby one day a week.  It is daunting but only a short term expense.  We are lucky that once the baby is preschool age we can switch from daycare to a preschool which will be much less expensive.  If S can not score a good job then we will have to see if we can swing it on my salary next year...gulp!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just hope you don't have twins. Stick out tongue  When our nanny started we started at $600/week and have just gone up from there (raises, increase in hours, etc.) We CANNOT wait till they go to school in two years. Sigh.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"