Working Moms

XP: In home daycare v. daycare centers?

Anybody have any thoughts on an in-home daycare vs. a daycare center?  I only have experience with the daycare center, but they are so expensive.  Any help would be great!

Re: XP: In home daycare v. daycare centers?

• I have worked for both types and in home is definitely cheaper! It's generally less structured than a center but there are benefits in that your dc will have care from the same person and not a revolving door of employees.
  • I've always liked centers since they seem more educational, have better structure, never close when a teacher is sick, seem more regulated, etc. That said, DS goes to a licenced in-home daycare right now - I really like the provider and DS is at an age where he benefits from the individual attention and consistent caretaker and doesn't play yet with other kids. I'm going to move him to a center when he's close to 2, but for now the in-home setting works for us.
    2007 BFP#1 MMC 12w; 2008 BFP#2 DS1; 2010 BFP#3 DS2; 2011 TTC; 2013 Pursuing DIA
  • Loading the player...
  • I, too, only have experience with a center, but aside from the generalities (more kids, turnover, etc.) of each, I really think it depends on the facility/home itself. There are crappy centers and there are awesome ones. I'm sure there are crappy in-home daycares and awesome ones as well. If you can find an in-home that you like, I wouldn't hesitate to put DC in it. KWIM?
  • dpdwdpdw member
    I hate it when people make broad generalizations about in-home vs a center.  My advice is to check out the options in your area & decide what's best for you.  You might be surprised at what is considered "in-home" -- some are run like daycares (with multiple staff), but with the lower price tag.
  • Inhome providers really run the gamut.  Some are no more than babysitters.  Others are run like day care centers but with fewer children.

The inhome we have been using has twelve kids, the provider/owner and two full time assistants.  They close for only the major holidays and back up is brought in when the provider is on vacation or someone is ill.  The day is appropriately structured for toddlers/preschoolers and my boys have learned a lot there.  I think it's a great option IF you find the right place for you. 

If you do decide to consider inhomes, I would start with your state's licensing agency.  I didn't consider anyone who wasn't licensed and I was able to view their past inspection reports on-line.  Based on what I read I narrowed it down to three providers in my area.  Then I called those three to ask questions and set up a time to visit the day care.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• we chose a center because our comfort level was higher with a center. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We choose a center because we liked how the rooms were separated in age. Ds is a a room from 3mo-1yr.  In the home daycares the ages usually vary and I didn't want my 3mo getting bopped on the head from a 3 yr old.

• IMO, babies under 2 yo benefit from inhome care. They don't need the socialization, etc. They need love and cuddles and a constistant caregiver they can love and trust. Around 2, they start benefitting from the structure and socialization that a centre provides.

• I agree with mauceddie. Our little guy stays with a parent of a former student who is right across the street from the school I teach at. She also has her 2 year old daughter there and he LOVES it! He gets one on one attention all day long. Who cares if there is no "structured" curriculum, activities or lesson plans, he is only 15 months and does not need that. He gets love and affection and is treated like one of their family and is absolutely thriving. Who cares if she is not "licensed", she treats my son like her own child and I know he is completely safe and cared for.
  • imagemauceddie:

IMO, babies under 2 yo benefit from inhome care. They don't need the socialization, etc. They need love and cuddles and a constistant caregiver they can love and trust. Around 2, they start benefitting from the structure and socialization that a centre provides.

This.  Totally.  We had DS in a center for a while, but then we moved and we changed to an in home.  He LOVES the in home and totally benefits from having the same caregiver every day and also from seeing the bigger kids.  He has really flourished at the in home.  That said, we may consider switching him when we get to nursery school age...  haven't decided yet.

It's a huge decision, good luck!

• I will throw this out there...one of the advantages of using someone who is licensed is the safety measures that must be taken.  Everyone in the household must have a background check and be run through the Child Protective Services database.  I would really want to know if the provider, or anyone in that household, has a criminal background.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• We use in home (her home) and it is definitely cheaper and better for us
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"