Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Anyone NOT buy a lightweight stoller and keep using what you got originally?

So, I'm feeling the pressure to "keep up with the Jones's" by spending a lot of money on a lightweight stroller with a brand name- and I'm trying not to feel the pressure and give in- we DON"T have the $ to be spending.

I registered for this great travel system with a stoller for my shower, some very nice people bought it for me- I should use it.  It isn't THAT heavy, I can certainly push it...

Anybody not get a lightweight stoller?

Re: Anyone NOT buy a lightweight stoller and keep using what you got originally?

• Options

I use our Chicco Cortina that was part of a travel system and LOVE it! ?I'm used to its size.

?Do whatever works for you - screw the "Jones's" :)?

• Options

The reason I got a lightweight stroller was because I was tired of fighting with it to get in it my little bitty ass trunk! lol  Plus we are flying to DC in July and wanted something a little smaller for the airport and trip.

You dont have to spend a lot.  Mine was only $50.  Its the babytrend from BRU. 

Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did buy an umbrella stroller but the reasoning had absolutely nothing to do with keeping up with anyone.  We have the Chicco travel system and I can't get the stroller in my trunk.  So, I needed something smaller that would fit.  I got a stroller from BRU.  With the 20% coupon I had, I think I paid about $40.
  • Options
    Tash13Tash13 member
    I really want one but haven't.  I have a travel system stroller too.  It was expensive and it works so I'm being cheap and just dealing with it.  It sucks because it's so hard to get in and out of my trunk (have to get it in just right for it to close) and I can't carry anything else in there.  Plus, we are starting to go into NYC and travel more often and it'd be easier to have a lightweight stroller.  I guess it's just what is a priority to you... I may have to go buy a cheap one soon even though everybody tells me to get a mclarren (sp?).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

For me it was not a matter of "keeping up." It was just a need that occurred. We needed something that took up less trunk space and we honestly never loved how our Chicco turned or handled, esp in crowded/narrow spaces. We will also use it when we fly. If I had to do it over, I would have registered for my Maclaren as well. I don't feel guilty at all though. We keep our Chicco at my parents' and we will use it again w/ the carrier with the next DC. Most ppl I know have at least 2 strollers, so I don't think it seems extravagant. It just depends on your needs!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We have the Chicco travel system and the Chicco umbrella stroller.  I MUCH prefer to use the "big" stroller and DS likes it better too. 

If you don't need it, don't buy it.  DH uses our umbrella stroller or it would never get used.

• Options

We only have one stroller, the Maxi Cosi Foray.  The only other stroller we are going to get is a double when #2 arrives.  I personally don't see the need for more than one, not to mention we don't have the space for it anyway.

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options
    I did get a lightweight stroller, but...I still use my travel system stroller all the time. ?I use it for walks all the time and use it when taking DD anywhere for a long time and want/need the snack tray. ?Frankly, my big honking one steers better. ?But the lightweight one is handy and takes up a lot less room in my trunk. ?So, if you can't afford it, keep using what you have, and try not to feel bad about it. ?Peer pressure sucks. ?
  • Options
    We are still using the Chicco Cortina stroller.  It is bulky, but it is comfy and he loves it, so there's no way I'm spending money on something new!
  • Options
    We don't have a lightweight stroller, but I know what you mean.  I keep wanting ones of those expensive, brand name lightweights but my Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe works just fine!  I'm going to resist the pressure and just keep using my everyday stroller that I have.
    Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We still use our heavy stroller because we live in Chicago and the sidewalks are not so nice. I bought a lightweight, compact stroller because I needed it for traveling and for going on public transportation. It was not about 'keeping up with the Joneses.'
  • Options
    Tash13Tash13 member

If you feel like you need one but don't want to spend the money look on Craigslist.  I've found a few in good condition for less than half the price

• Options
    I'm just using the stroller I have (not too heavy but not tiny either). I had a couple of different umbrella strollers with DS and they both sucked so I won't even try it with DD. Too much hassle for me.
  • Options
    We bought the uppa baby vista and we're still using that.  Its kind of a pain to get into the trunk with the seat on, but I can deal with it and DS loves it and the basket underneath is huge and great for carrying stuff when we're out.  At this point we are resisting buying an umbrella stroller, but if we do get one I'll probably look on craigslist.
  • Options
    We got a lightweight stroller because our travel system one takes up so much room in the trunk.  It's also really handy when we go places since it's so much smaller to maneuver.  I still use the big stroller, though when we're going out for longer amounts of time and if I know he's going to need the tray to eat off of.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagekelbrian:
    We still use our heavy stroller because we live in Chicago and the sidewalks are not so nice. I bought a lightweight, compact stroller because I needed it for traveling and for going on public transportation. It was not about 'keeping up with the Joneses.'

This, exactly. The only thing I can add is that I used to think parents with more than one stroller were sooo lame, until I realized that life is sometimes easier with more crap, especially if it weights 10 lbs instead of 20+...

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    la79alla79al member
    I was feeling the pressure too, partly because we have a trip to Disney World planned and I thought more expensive would be nicer.  Well we went to Disney in March and DH thought I was crazy but I spent half the day comparing other strollers to our Graco travel system stroller.  I did not see one more expensive stroller that compared in storage, recline or shade.  I ended up deciding that the one we had was just what we needed.  Then my MIL got us the BRU umbrella stroller.  I have discovered that my Graco goes much better in grass but the umbrella seems to be smoother when we hit bumps on the sidewalk.  The umbrella folds up plenty small for my little trunk but if DD is sleeping in the car, there is no way I can transfer her to the umbrella stroller and expect her to stay asleep.  And I really like having a tray on the stroller, both for DD and myself.  Overall, I probably would not have ended up getting a second stroller. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If you've got one that's working for you, by all means, use it!  These are not the times to worry about keeping up with the Joneses.... :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have never had a light weight. I did buy an umbrella, but hated it. Only time I used it was when my little guy would wake up before I took my oldest to the bus stop, so I would put him in the umbrella for that. Otherwise, I use my big bulky one.
  • Options

I didn't buy a "real" stroller for DD until she was about a year old, and we got a Kolcraft Contours Options four-wheeler.?

Definitely not the lightest of strollers, but I really like it and we still use it.

We also have a cheapie Babytrend stroller that we got for travel and that we used for a few months before getting the Kolcraft. It's lighter, but we don't really use it -- except when I don't want my nice stroller, say, getting banged up by gate-checking it.?

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options

image1MusicMaker:
    We are still using the Chicco Cortina stroller.  It is bulky, but it is comfy and he loves it, so there's no way I'm spending money on something new!

this exactly, I see no reason to switch!

• Options

We registered for and recieved a Graco Metrolite system and it served us well enough until I had to use the stroller on it's own (about when DD was 10mos). Although it was light (17lbs ish) the wheels were wonky and other small things annoyed me. (Basket was great, though!). I started looking for something even lighter but a bit more pushable and easy to maneuver. Somehow ended up with a Baby Jogger (lol.....NOT light but oh soo pushable).

I personally never cared about what others had and wouldn'tve bought another anything had *I* not come to that conclusion myself. If the wheels on my Graco had remained intact, I don't think I would've just randomly gone looking to spend money yanno?

• Options
    wendyjwendyj member
    We got a Graco travel system, and I really like our stroller. DS is really comfortable in it and it's easy to maneuver. The only reason I would want a lightweight stroller is that takes up much less room in the car, which would be great when we're traveling this summer. Because we have no money to spend on it, we're just going to stick with our regular stroller and pack the car around it.  
  • Options
    KL777KL777 member
    I don't have a light weight stroller.  I do see people with those cute umbrella strollers though, and I wonder "Do I need that?".  I answer myself and say no, the stroller we have works just fine and it's very easy to push and is as light weight as possible for your typical heavy duty type stroller.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options

I still use the Graco Metrolite stroller that came with the travel system.  I picked it because it was light and small-ish for a travel system.  I didn't realize until DS got older that some people have as many as 4 strollers... a little nutty and excessive if you ask me.  I do have an umbrella stroller that I got free from BRU but I never would have bought one because I already had the Metrolite.

If what you have works and DC is comfortable, stick with it.  If it's incredibly inconvenient, look on craigslist and get a used one.  IMO, there are so many more important things to spend $$.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"