Baby Showers
Options

Who to invite- His 2nd baby, Her first...

It's my brother's baby and I am hosting the shower. My mom and I disagree on the guestlist, brother doesn't care and SIL doesn't know either. She just says do whatever we think is best.

He has a 2 yr old from a previous marriage, but this is her first baby. We have a HUGE family, but I don't feel right inviting all the extended family (great aunts, 2nd/3rd cousins, etc.) since it's his 2nd baby. Most of them didn't come to the shower for his first baby, they just sent a gift when he was born. I think they will do the same for this baby. Our mom says invite them all again since it's SILs first baby.

WDYT?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Who to invite- His 2nd baby, Her first...

• Options

Well I am not one who believes that showers should only be for a first baby. Showers do benefit the parents but who ultimately benefits from a shower? The baby. Every baby deserves a shower and deserves to receive gifts and well wishes that will serve a purpose in their life. I believe that showers are suppose to be a celebration of THAT specific baby.

I don't buy 'no shower for second born'. I think that is completely, 110% wrong. Each child is special and each child deserves a shower. I mean what do you tell your second, third born when in their baby book the shower part is left empty. Oh sorry honey, only your older brother/sister got a shower - not you because you weren't first.

Sorry I get a little riled up HA! But back to your question. I say send it to all. If they come, they come and if they don't, they don't. If they send a gift, they do and if they don't, they don't.

Good luck!

• Options
    imagejacksjerseygirl:

Well I am not one who believes that showers should only be for a first baby. Showers do benefit the parents but who ultimately benefits from a shower? The baby. Every baby deserves a shower and deserves to receive gifts and well wishes that will serve a purpose in their life. I believe that showers are suppose to be a celebration of THAT specific baby.

I don't buy 'no shower for second born'. I think that is completely, 110% wrong. Each child is special and each child deserves a shower. I mean what do you tell your second, third born when in their baby book the shower part is left empty. Oh sorry honey, only your older brother/sister got a shower - not you because you weren't first.

Sorry I get a little riled up HA! But back to your question. I say send it to all. If they come, they come and if they don't, they don't. If they send a gift, they do and if they don't, they don't.

Good luck!

I agree.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great way to look at it. Thanks a lot. =)
  • Options

I mean what do you tell your second, third born when in their baby book the shower part is left empty.

I think this is a bit much.  Kids will only notice this if it's pointed out to them.

Anyhow- I don't feel 2nd showers should be huge events.  Fine- all babies should be celebrated, but I don't feel that should automatically mean turning to buy you GIFTS for that baby.  And yes, that is exactly what a shower is.

I personally think that you shoulnd't invite every last extended relative from your side.  If they want to send a gift once the baby comes, they will regardless.  Keep the invites from your side a little closer, more personal.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Do what your Mom says and invite them again, lol. It is a first baby is how I look at it. I doubt the stuff given for his 2 yr old is available for her use. If people don't want to come or send a gift then it is their choice. Hope your SIL has a wonderful shower.
  • Options
    i agree with FMIL&MOB .  I would not won't any of my family members or family in laws to feel left out.  I think that you should send an invitation and let them decide whether or not to attend.  At least you sent the invitation.  some people's feeling are easily hurt by something as simple as not inviting them to the shower.  I hope it works out! Smile
  • Options

I'm also of the "all babies deserve to be celebrated" mindset. I'd invite everyone. Those who don't want to attend or are offended certainly aren't obligated to come.

Technically, I thought that showers were to prepare new parents for life with their child. Probably your brother doesn't have all of his baby's goods from his 1st marriage, so they'd still "qualify" for a shower.

• Options
    I think seeing it is her first baby its ok to do a baby shower for her.  If your inviting her side of the family then that makes it even better cause they would be celebrating her first. I would just invite who you want to invite anyways. Anyone that doesn't want to come doesn't have to. Like someone else said I am sure your brother's first child's stuff she might not be able to use cause of the other mom.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagedesik:
    imagejacksjerseygirl:

Good luck!

I agree.

Yes

• Options
    invite them, no big deal if they dont come.
  • Options

Unless this extended family knows HER well do not invite them.  They are not close enough.  Invite ALL of her extended family though and only the closest ones on your side.  Obviously you can do what many of the other posters suggested and invite everyone...but if they didn't come to his first baby's shower they won't come to this one and might feel it is tacky that they were even invited if they don't know his wife (and may not even bother to send a gift this time).

I do not believe every baby "derserves" a baby shower.  I do believe every baby should be celebrated but to do that...the baby has to be born first.   Since this is her first baby (regardless that it is your brother's 2nd) she should have a shower. 

• Options
    imagebrightning:

Technically, I thought that showers were to prepare new parents for life with their child. Probably your brother doesn't have all of his baby's goods from his 1st marriage, so they'd still "qualify" for a shower.

Exactly.  Does HE have all of this stuff, did the ex-wife keep it?  I'm not a fan of second or third showers, but I do think that this situation is different.  I'd throw shower as if it was his first. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Why would you not invite them? I think you'd sort of be sending the message that SIL is "second best."

Think of it this way...would you not invite them to the bridal shower because it was his second wife and they all gave gifts to the first wife? Probably not.

People are weird about baby showers. I don't get it. 

• Options
    Yes
    imageMommaSonya:
    imagedesik:
    imagejacksjerseygirl:

Good luck!

I agree.

Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"