Toddlers: 24 Months+

Any other single moms?

So I know I am new, and here I am already looking for support, but a computer is all I have.

I am tired of being mom and dad. His sperm donor has never even seen him. And he's gorgeous. But I work 55 hours a week, I have one more year left of school thank goodness. I feel like my son is getting the short end of the stick. We have a great relationship, he's totally my best friend and when I am out of work, we do everything together. But I can't help but feel like I am not doing enough for him. I was lucky enough to buy us a house- I feel so accomplished about that. But it's a thing. I know he needs a male influence in his life, but with all of my spare time (haha) when am I supposed to date? I'm lonely, but at the same time I have everything I will ever need, I have totally set up a life for us. I don't really know what I am looking for, I know there is no magic pill to make my life easier, but jeez...I just want to give me kid the best life he can have, he deserves it! 

Re: Any other single moms?

• How many hours will you work when you are done with school in a year?

Welcome, btw!

• I'll be a 3rd grade teacher, so a 'normal' workload..and we'll have our summers together when he goes to school.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't understand completely what you're going through but I'm in the process of getting divorced right now and DS sees his dad every other weekend.  It's really hard to do everything alone!  I often have guilt that Evan is playing alone while I cook dinner or clean up but that stuff has to get done!  You are doing so much to make your DS's future great and therefore you're doing a great job! 
  • Julie112, I am really sorry you are going through that. I feel bad when I cook and clean and stuff too. I actually got him a little kitchen and some 'cleaning' (water in bottles) supplies so he can help me and do it with me. I wasn't kidding when I said we do everything together lol Do you find it hard to find 'you time'? Or well, I guess you get that every other weekend huh

• DS goes to bed around 7:30 so I get "me" time every night for a couple hours.  I workout, chat with friends, etc.  But I don't go to school in addition to working and don't think I could handle it even though I'd like to get my MBA.  Fortunately and unfortunately, every other weekend has been pretty inconsistent.  Weekend "me" time is bittersweet b/c I miss and worry about DS so much.  Tonight is me time and I'm eating ice cream and cheering on my Wings, so not too exciting!
  • Im not a single mom, but I wanted to reply anyway.  I can't begin to imagine how tough this is.  As far as giving him the life he deserves, sounds like your'e doing that already:

He has a roof over his head.

He has a  mom who loves and adores him.

He gets fed, clothed and nurtured daily.

What more does a boy need?????  Things are busy now, but once school is done, you'll have a lot more time for him AND for yourself.  Don't forget to take time for you.  Even if it's just a bubble bath while he's asleep at night. 

WELCOME to the board.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Thank you brides for your reply, it made my day.
  • Sounds like you are doing everything right!  Believe me, he will be thankful that you have been so determined to provide him with everything that he needs when he is older.  You are being responsible.  Don't worry about dating!  You can do that when you are working normal hours. : )

In the meantime, "hang out" with us!!! Big Smile

• Where do you live?? I'm sure there are others here that are around your area! Friends for you and for your son!
    Blake 04/29/05 Will 06/12/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"