Multiples
Options

cloth diapers/price comparison and experiences

so, i was not going to bother doing cloth diapers because i did not realize the nice new inventions, plus the ease of the system. now that i am considering it, i am wondering if anyone has sat down and added up the savings over a year including softener salt, electricity, detergent, etc?

and- has anyone started out cloth and abandoned it for disposable or done different with different children? what was your experience? 

Re: cloth diapers/price comparison and experiences

• Options
    I used kissaluvs cloth diapers with DS when he was under 6 months & BF only. After that it was too much of a mess & he also used so many less diapers daily that I switched to disposables?

I never had to use a softner salt, I actually used half the recommended detergent because it affects the absorption.
    It was much cheaper than disposable diapers
    I still have them all, they look like new, I will use them for my next baby & then sell them used on ebay when I am done (yeah people actually buy them used, I would never but I am thankful they do)
    ?
    It was a great choice for me but I only have one
    How do I always end up on the multiples board? I guess it is the cute babies?
    Summer 2011
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers ~early M/C 4/09 ~ Ectopic 6/09~ BFP 11/09~
  • Options
    ps. softener salt is for people who have well water. my husband grew up with city water and had no clue what this was either! lol!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hmmm good to know, I had no clue.
    Summer 2011
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers ~early M/C 4/09 ~ Ectopic 6/09~ BFP 11/09~
  • Options

OK, thanks for clarifying what softener salt is!

We've been cloth diapering since birth & I love it! ?We do use disposables when we go out to public places & Huggies Overnites at night (everything else that we tried overnight leaked). ??I have not done the math, but I think that cloth is cheaper than disposables. ?Plus, you never have to worry about running out & having to rush out to the store! ?Aside from the upfront cost of the diapers themselves, you are right that there are additional water, electricity, & detergent costs. ?

Water: ?In my mind, I think that the water used to wash the cloth diapers is probably equivalent to the water consumption of 2 extra humans using the toilet daily, which they will eventually do. ?So environmental/financial cost is just the cost of waste disposal of 2 additional people. ?Plus, when you factor in the water consumption/pollution involved in manufacturing disposables, the water usage for cloth diapers is no biggie (environmentally, at least).?

Electricity: ?I wash a load of diapers every day. ?So the washer & dryer each run for about 1-1.5 hours per day to pre-rinse, wash & dry the cloth diapers. ?I don't think that's a big deal (we have HE washer/dryer)...others may disagree.?

Detergent: ?You cannot use your "normal" detergent on cloth diapers or risk leak problems from build-up (trust me, I "tested" this myself!). ?We use Planet detergent, which IS more costly than regular detergent. ? Again, I equate it to toilet paper cost for 2 extra people, so to me, it is just waste disposal cost. ?Also, you have to factor in the cost of extra garbage if you use disposables. ?More trash bags, potentially increased waste disposal costs, etc. ??

• Options
    DH and I figured up the price to wash and it was about $8/month for DS (so double for 2 babies) and that included water, electric, and detergent.  I started CDing DS when he was 6m and I'm in the process of selling all of my diaps now because I can't get the ammonia stench out.  They should smell like urine, but they shouldn't burn off the hairs in your nose everytime you open the pail.  Go to any CDing site/board (like the EFF board here) and you'll come accross a ton of posts asking how to get rid of ammonia.  I've tried all of the suggestions and none of them work for us.  I'm really disappointed that I'm getting rid of them because IMO they save a TON of money (especially if you go with the old fashioned pf's that really aren't that hard to use), but hopefully I'll make enough on the diaps to help cover some sposies (and IL's have been buying DS' sposies for a while now which helps out a TON).  GL, it's great if it works, I actually semi-enjoyed it (CDing somehow becomes a habit for most), but I just couldn't handle battling the smell any more.
  • Options

Stalk the Eco-Friendly board. You'll learn alot there. We use CD on our daughter. We bought Kissaluv's size 0 for the newborn stage (which for our chunckster was only about a month), then switched to pockets which I love. And most everyone who's seen them thinks they are amazing (and they are). They are a bit more of an investment up front than prefolds but I know I'm still saving over what I'd be paying in disposables.  We will use them for our twins since we already have them from our daughter. Once you get used to doing the laundry its not that much extra work at all.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was considering CDing at one point and so I made a whole spreadsheet up to compare costs (I based in on disposable prices for Huggies from Sams Club and the middle of the road to slightly nicer cloth diapers they have now) and of course now I can't find the spreadsheet anywhere.  Crap.  I don't have actual numbers for you, but I think the CDing turned out to be ~300$ total cheaper over the estimated lifespan of twins (~24months).  It was a much smaller number than what the lady in the cloth diaper boutique had quoted me.  Also, That number was for costs of diapers only (no wipes, laundry soap, garbage bags, etc). 

I think if we were having kids in succession, the CDing would make much more economical sense, but for us, since we are having our kids at once and won't have others, the cost savings didn't seem to outweigh the convenience factor and so we chose to go the disposable route.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"