High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Weight gain on the GD diet??

I'm SUPER frustrated right now :(  I started out this PG overweight, so have been SUPER careful about weight gain (only up 6 lbs as of my last appt and OB is totally fine with this). 

That said, in the 3 weeks prior to this past week, I had gained about 3 lbs.  Pretty average, I think.  But in the less than one week that I've been doing this diet, I've actually GAINED 3 lbs!!!!  Huh?  I know it's b/c I'm snacking on nuts, cheese, meat etc.  All things that have a MUCH MUCH higher fat content then the stuff I was munching on before (fruit, carrots/dip etc).

Any suggestions?  I have a hard time eating all of my meals/snacks during the day b/c I'm not that hungry during the day, but come 8pm and I'm STARVING.  I do not want to keep putting on weight like this, but I need something to eat other than nuts/cheese/meat that are all fatty!!!

Help? :(

Re: Weight gain on the GD diet??

• Options

Other snack ideas -

piece of fruit (usually is 2 carb choices)

yogurt (1-2 carb choices)

granola bar (1-2 choices)

• Options

Veggies are always good with some ranch dip. I'm eating some right now... mmm.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageFutureHardings:

Prob is that I don't like celery and even carrots are higher on the carb scale b/c of the sugar in them.  GOING INSANE!! :(

• Options

Yep a lot of those things have fat in them. Sugar stores as fat too so fruits other than berries aren't great and granola bars tend to have a lot of sugar to if you check the ingredients. Yogurt/milk/dairy tends to have a lot of natural sugar too.

A couple of things to try... add fiber to everything. Benefiber works to keep sugar levels in check. Try getting out for a little walk directly after meals. Check out info on the south beach diet. It teaches you to eat leaner proteins and complex carbs as apposed to simple carbs. I eat a lot of jello for snacks. lol Oh also, white cheeses generally have less fat than yellow cheeses and hard cheeses also have less than soft cheeses. Ensure makes a protein shake that is low in sugar. I can't think of the name of it but it. It's not the high protein one specifically but you'll know it when you see it.

Hope that helps some!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

What time do you eat your bedtime snack? If your hungry around 8pm trying eating it then. I usually have a piece of whole wheat bread with mayo, lettuce, cheese, and ham with a small glass of milk. My nutritionist has me throwing in the milk because I have problems with my ketones. I'm not sure how many carbs they have you having in one snack but you could always try a later snack.

good luck!

• Options

Almost all veggies are no carb or free foods, just carrots, corn, peas, and potatoes, everything else is good to go.  With a yummy low carb dip, most veggies would be great.

Cottage cheese comes in low fat and fat free versions.

Most deli meat is low fat, like turkey or chicken

GL hun, and I know it's hard to think about gaining sometime, but it is ok to do.

• Options
    imageFutureHardings:

I love me some raw broccoli and cucumber slices.  Also, how do cherry tomatoes rank in the grand scheme of things?

Also, when I was on South Beach, I used to make my own Ranch dip with fat free sour cream and a packet of the Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning. It's just a slightly different flavor, a little thicker (psychologically more filling?), and depending on if money is an issue, it might be cheaper as well! =)

• Options
    Oohh! And green bell pepper strips. So much crunch and flavor! Tres, tres delicious!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"