Multiples

breast pump question

Is it even feasable to use a manual pump with twins? ?Or is a double electric the only way to go. ?I'm a SAHM so I don't have to worry about pumping at work or anything.

Re: breast pump question

• I can't imagine having the time to use a manual pump.  When I'm home I try to pump while I feed one of them and even then there's not always enough time.

• I think it also depends on your milk production.  Mine sucked - so I was not able to really get anything using a manual pump.  The hospital grade electric pump worked, but I never got more than a few ounces per session.  Some women I know have pumped successfully with a manual pump, but that was for a singleton.
  • Loading the player...
  • I Stayed at home for the first 6months of my girls lives...I HIGHLY recommend a double electric pump...as you will discover once your kids are here....TIME is precious. :)
  • Oh you definitely want an electric pump.  In fact, I highly recommend a hospital grade pump.  I rented mine from the hospital and I've heard you can get them through BRU now.  I was typically able to get 12 oz each time I pumped!  It was really reasonable too.  I definitely spent less than buying a pump n style and then didn't have to worry about storing it once I was finished with it.  Good luck!
  • I think a double electric pump is the way to go, if not for comfort and ease of milk extraction then at least for time. I never tried a manual pump so I can't say I know the difference, but I know it was challenge enough to feed both babies, pump every 3-4 hours plus make sure everything was clean & ready for the next round without having to worry about inefficiency in pumping.

I actually wasn't sure what my plans were for pumping before delivering and found out that by buying a pump through the hospital I got a great price - much less expensive than buying one retail (saving a good $150-$200) I would recommend not stressing about it at the moment and speaking to the lactation consultant at the hospital about options before purchasing. 

• i think you would loose your mind and give up on breast feeding. you will get a major hand cramp. for your own sanity, double pumping is the way to go. this is based upon my research and my decision. it seems to be worth the money. only thing is, you could go with a single pump if you plan on using your breast for feeding 90% of the time. i figure you might as well take care of it all at once.
  • I figured these were the answers I would get! ?Thanks ladies!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"