Cincinnati Babies
Options

I think DS is allergic to dogs :(

We went to a family picnic last night, and the house we went to had 2 dogs- a golden retreiver and some sort of black lab/mix.  B's legs are covered in spotty hives, his hands are also spotty, and his face where the dog licked him is spotty.  We've only been around a few dogs before, and those ones are HUGE (you could call them horses?), so I've always kept B away.  This is the first time he's been mobile in a house with dogs. 

Do you think it's an allergy or just sensitivity?  He has uber sensitive skin too, but I haven't seen him break out like this before. 

And will a bath help it "go away"?  Is there anything else I can do?  Should I call the pedi?  TIA!

Re: I think DS is allergic to dogs :(

• Options
    It's probably not this, but just in case, I went to a party recently where I was talking to a mom whose little girl has a peanut allergy. I asked her how they found out about it and she said at 9 months, the little girl was licked by a dog and her face broke out where the dog licked her. They had her tested for allergies and it turned out she was allergic to peanuts (and I guess the dog had eaten peanut butter or a peanut butter treat). Anyway, I think I'd call the pedi tomorrow and mention it just to be sure and hear what they say.

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • Options
    My son is allergic to dogs and cats.  I found out because I had him tested for lots of stuff since I found out he is allergic to peanuts, and some other foods.  He gets all hive-y and red eyes, etc. when he's around dogs.  Sad  I hope this isn't the case for your poor little guy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd say it sounds like he is allergic to dogs.

DD is according to the allergy testing that she had at 7 months, but it is a mild allergy and I haven't let any dogs lick her or let her touch any without washing her hands immediately after and she is fine.

When we go to family's houses that have dogs, they just vacuum just before everyone shows up to help her. I don't worry about it much now that is a walker and doesn't crawl on the floor.

I guess the point of the story is that it may be manageable even if he is allergic. Good luck and yes, I would call the pedi.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"