1st Trimester

Tiny Apartment Babies

I was just wondering how many of you soon-to-be mommies out there are worrying about making a tiny apartment work for a family of three. Anyone have any good storage tips/ideas?

We have a small two bedroom, but there isn't a lot of storage (literally, no in-the-wall closet space at all). We're going really minimalist with our registry, things like the mini-co-sleeper instead of a separate bassinet, playpen and changing table. Also, I've been really digging through all our personal stuff and getting rid of unnecessaries, so that I have cleaned out drawers here and there, in the desk, in the dresser, etc. It sounds weird, but it looks like it will work. After all, as long as you have less stuff, even the tiniest space can look big, right?

Anyone out there commiserate / have good ideas? Thanks!

Re: Tiny Apartment Babies

• I have a small 1 bedroom, but the bedroom is huge. I plan on using 2/3 of the bedroom for baby stuff and the other third for me and the boyfriend. I figure a baby doesn't need their own bedroom for the first year. As for storage, I plan on buying a bunch of the 3 drawer clear storage container (I think it's made by sterlite?). I don't want "big" items, so I'm not registering for them. I'm going for practical items (lotions, soaps, clothes, etc.). We'll see how it all works out! Good luck!!!
  • We have a house, but it's small (870 sf and just two bedrooms and no basement). I love apartmenttherapy.com. They also have a site on there for nurseries/kids rooms with great storage and space-maximizing ideas.

Our general plan is to only buy what we know we'll need and add non-necessities as they come up.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a tiny house and all I can say is get rid of any crap you can.  I threw out a lot of our wedding stuff because I'm never going to use it again.  I scanned in our guestbook pages and then tossed it.  Get rid of all papers, scanning is your friend.  Don't keep magazines, if there's an article you want to keep, scan it and throw the zine in the recycle.  Get under-the-bed storage containers.  Organize, organize, and organize some more.  If you can't figure out where something should go (can't make a place for it), get rid of it.  Keep your must keep momentoes in a smallish (or whatever size you're comfortable with) tote.  When it's full if you want to add something, you have to get rid of something else.  GL.
  • EmmieBEmmieB member

We had a loft before we moved and Did a lot of under-storage. Under the bed, under the couch. Every piece of furniture that came in had storage capacity.

And you just have to edit. If you don't use it, get rid of it. hanging on to things "in case you need them one day" is ridiculous.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have a very small house (720 sq. ft) and plan on downsizing a lot of stuff.  For example, in our computer room, soon to be nursery, my husband's and my computer live.  I am going to get rid of my computer completely and we will have to find another place for DH's.  Probably a desk out in the living room.

Only buy what you need.  I am going to be adamant that people don't buy us a bunch of stuff.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jack Emmett born on 2/2/10 after 17 cycles and a miscarriage
    Calvin Wyatt born on 1/10/12. Our surprise baby!

EP Facebook Group ~*~ My Baby/Life Blog
  • We lived in a similar place with no closets and basically built our own with armoires from IKEA.  We bought four and had them all next to each other on a short wall in our bedroom.  We also mounted 11" wall shelves at the end of a long, narrow hallway and used linen lined willow baskets on it for storage.  Basically shelving and baskets were our best friends in that teeny space!

Good luck!  Babies don't need much room as long as you don't acquire a ton of stuff.  And as long as the stuff you do acquire is well-organized/contained, you'll be fine.

• Thanks, gals! I thought I was crazy, getting into such tiny details with throwing every last thing out. But if it really works, that's what I'm gonna do - roll up my sleeves and clear room for Baby!
  • We own a 2 bedroom condo.....it's not huge, but it's enough space for the two of us. Our second bedroom right now is our office/storage space. We went out and rented a storage unit, and my DH also added a ton of shelves to all of our closets to make more storage space. BTW the Closet Maid organization stuff at Home Depot is great.
  • We're moving from a one bedroom to a two bedroom.  The second bedroom will be the nursery but will also have a twin bed with a trundle in case we have company.  That way the nursery doubles as a guest bedroom.  (Obviously the baby will sleep with us on those nights.) 

I also plan to purge our stuff, but DH and I are both major packrats!!!!!!  I'm hoping to register for multi-functional things, too, to save room.  We plan to bf and cd, so hopefully that will save some space/money on supplies.

Good suggestions everyone.  I'm glad we're not the only ones having a baby in an apartment!

IMG_3932
  • We have a 580 sqft 1 bdrm. We will make it work until we move when the LO is 6 months or so. Apartment Therapy is my greatest blog love. We will be getting rid of a lot of unneeded stuff and not over buying baby crap to begin with. I will be a "minimalist mommy".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"