Success after IF
Options

Is there really this much of a nap norm?

I just read this article and was dumbfounded.  Is it really the norm that babies take a specific number of naps a day (according to this, 3, then down to 2 )??  I never really thought about how many Cal takes until recently when I counted and came up with four 30-60min naps. 

I don't really understand this talk of "dropping" naps and stuff...if my baby's tired I just let him sleep.  I don't care how many times of day or how old he is.  He's tired; he sleeps.  Am I/are we unusual?

Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is there really this much of a nap norm?

• Options

Eh- it is all generalizations or averages (as you know). When Patrick was younger, he would only nap on me and I was just grateful whenever he fell asleep.  Then at some point, I tried to get him off of me into his crib and when that became successful, he would take one nap in the morning for sure and occasionally I could get him down for a second nap.  That was short-lived and he has been a one-nap-a-day baby for months and months and months and months!  He really never took two or more naps a day (other than the newborn period).  I never really cared though because he has been STTN since about 8 weeks and we consistently get 12-13 hours of sleep from him every night and I honestly can't remember the last time I had to wake up in the middle of the night with him.  I figure he gets all of his sleep at night so therefore he doesn't really need much sleep in the day.  I dunno- I read all that stuff with a grain of salt and I just know what works for us.  There is a natural progression of change that you will notice in Cal's sleep habits that will kind of fit the books...but it will be so gradual you probably won't even notice that he "dropped" one of his naps (just like the book says).  Same with breastfeeding...it has been such a natural progression to go from eating every hour in the newborn period to nursing 3-4x day if that at 13 months old.  It all just sort of happens without you even being aware of it!  I just love this mommy job and hope I can do it all over again one day!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't read the article but yes, babies usually do take a specific number of naps per day (once older.) it's all about sleep training. ginny now takes 2 naps a day and she knows when they are coming. newborns nap whenever tired but older babies do better (from what I've learned and experienced) with a schedule. ginny anticipates her nap time and she doesn't fight it. the length of each nap -- that's another story. at cal's age I'd start working on a schedule. it will make your life much easier (and simpler) down the road.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2 infertiles' journey to 2 pink lines (and a baby girl)
    "our IF story"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

According to one of the sleep books I read, we should be at three naps a day.  But - I give her two formal naps w/ a routine and then she'll catnap on her own terms for about half an hour another two times a day.  I'm not able to figure out when that third official nap is supposed to take place. 

I think as long as they are getting the sleep they need, it doesn't matter how many naps it occurs in.  I think sometimes it takes a while for a formal routine to develop.  I bet you'll eventually be at the two naps a day...

After THREE years, our IVF miracle is here!!!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageroaringrock:
    I didn't read the article but yes, babies usually do take a specific number of naps per day (once older.) it's all about sleep training. ginny now takes 2 naps a day and she knows when they are coming. newborns nap whenever tired but older babies do better (from what I've learned and experienced) with a schedule. ginny anticipates her nap time and she doesn't fight it. the length of each nap -- that's another story. at cal's age I'd start working on a schedule. it will make your life much easier (and simpler) down the road.

I actually do agree with this to an extent.  While it makes no sense to have Patrick take more than one nap a day (and really never made sense since it just never worked for us and he gets plenty of sleep with the one nap and 12-13 hours at night), I do agree that having a schedule is imperative!  Patrick goes down around 11:00-11:30 every day and we have a routine (similar to the bedtime routine) that we follow every day.  He anticipates it, he helps to prepare his bedroom for a nap by closing the curtains, and he doesn't fight it.  It is what it is and just the word nap and the initiation of the nap routine immediately makes him sleepy.  But you really need to do what works for you.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses...definitely food for thought.  We've always kind of followed Cal's lead and he does seem to be in a routine as far as the general times of his naps, and how many.  But we don't go so far as to anticipate/prepare for them at this point, but perhaps we should soon.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

• Options
    imageGermanwife2b:

imageroaringrock:

I actually do agree with this to an extent.  While it makes no sense to have Patrick take more than one nap a day (and really never made sense since it just never worked for us and he gets plenty of sleep with the one nap and 12-13 hours at night), I do agree that having a schedule is imperative!  Patrick goes down around 11:00-11:30 every day and we have a routine (similar to the bedtime routine) that we follow every day.  He anticipates it, he helps to prepare his bedroom for a nap by closing the curtains, and he doesn't fight it.  It is what it is and just the word nap and the initiation of the nap routine immediately makes him sleepy.  But you really need to do what works for you.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

ummmmm. all I am saying is that it's important to have a SCHEDULE and sticking to it! and ginny's particular schedule is 2 naps a day (when younger she needed 3.) your kid may have 1 -- I don't really car. it doesn't matter! but the number does decrease with age. 2 naps a day at 9 months is the norm.

we started sleep training at a very early age -- like 6 weeks. as someone who runs a business from home I need to expect a certain amount of work time. 99% of the time I can count on ginny's nap time = working hours. 1 1/2 - 2 hours after breakfast she is napping. 3 - 4 pm she is napping again. there is no fighting to not nap as she anticipates them. it works beautifully!

don't let random naps rule your life seasoul.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2 infertiles' journey to 2 pink lines (and a baby girl)
    "our IF story"
  • Options

The joys of parenting...what a learning curve!  I never really thought much about naps until I read that article.  And now thanks to our trusty board I know even more!  Thanks ladies!

Life is beautiful!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"