Working Moms

Opinons on working rather than be a SAHM?

I currently am a SAHM for our twins but I feel that it is not for me....I feel like I would be happier if I would work.  Is it hard working and having newborns?  What about with the lack of sleep situation (like when the teething comes)?  Also, I am concerned about finding a job that will cover the cost of a nanny and have a little extra especially when some nannies charge $15-$20/hour.  At my previous job, I only made around $16/hour so that wouldn't be worth it - anyone else have that problem?

Re: Opinons on working rather than be a SAHM?

• It all depends on your personal situation. My husband and I work opposite shifts so our son is always with one of us. This works for us financially but definitely takes its toll on our personal life. Our situation is also unique in that I dictate my own work schedule so I can bring flexibility into the picture as needed which makes things a little easier on us. As far as sleep deprivation goes, my son didn't STTN until he was 6 months old and I went back to work FT at 3 months so I definitely felt those nights of getting up with him during the night, but I also only had one baby so I can't speak for what it will be like for you having to get up with two of them.

Is part time work an option for you? My goal is to go part time by the time our son is 18 months old. I think part time working would be an ideal balance for me as I also don't think staying home full time would be for me. GL with your decision!

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • can you get a part time job? something that will give you just enough time out of the house, maybe a little extra cash- but not require full time daycare?

working and having one child was OK for me- i make enough that it made sense for me to work FT with only one in daycare- but now with the twins- to have 3 in daycare full time my entire base salary would go towards daycare (my only actual income would be bonuses)... So i changed to part time and while my base salary will still go totally towards daycare- at least I will have more time at home with the kids - and still have a career and "me" time.  I could not be a full time SAHM - i'd go crazy.

• Loading the player...
  • I work part-time-- it's a great solution for me. ?I was bored out of my mind staying at home on my 20 week maternity leave and I now work 3 days/week. ?I am more than ready to go to work on Sunday night and I work Mondays-Wednesdays so I spend Thursday-Sunday with my son and really feel like it's the perfect balance. ?

I have a nanny inhome and love that. ?I make alot more money than it costs to employ her but perhaps you can look at options like daycare or a nanny share. ?You may also want to look at this as a long-term investment in your career and sanity, even if the money is break even for a period of time. ?

• It sounds like doing something PT might be good for you.  It'll get you out of the house and give you some adult interaction (and baby-free time!).  I'm a much happier mommy since I started working outside of the house.  As far as childcare goes, if you have family nearby they often don't mind watching babies for a few hours at a time for free. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AlisaSAlisaS member

I would go nuts if I was home all day. Dh and I both work full-time. He is an attorney and I am an MD. We have full-time daycare and our salaries cover it so that is not an issue for us.

Yep - it can be tiring but I think less so than if I was at home all day with little adult interaction.

As for it being worth it money-wise: I think that is a personal decision. It can totally be worth it to have all of your salary go towards childcare if working makes you a happier person.

• SAH is not for me!  I'm currently home waiting on #2 to come and I don't go back to work until Aug. and I'm already going CRAZY!  But I also only work 28 hours a week, 8-3 M-Th, so I feel like I have a great balance in my life.  I get to feel like me while at work and I get plenty of time with DS so I never feel like I miss anything.  I still make more $ than DC costs but even if I broke even I would still work. If you have a DH that helps out a lot you can make it through the no sleeping phases and teething with no problems.  There were a few days I was tired at work but I made sure to take naps on Friday when DS did. GL!

• Definitley think about working part-time. I went back to work FT when DD was 3 months old then cut back my hours to 3days/week Mon-Wed when she was 5 months old. Had Thurs-Sunday off. Dd went to day-care the other 3 days. I was lucky I found a PT day-care that was only $95/week. For you I would look into maybe getting a job on the weekends/evenings. Even if its working in retail, waiting tables, or working at a theme park or summer camp. Its worth it just to get out and have some sanity. Then you wouldn't have to work about hiring a nanny/daycare, cause you could have your H. As far as the STTN thing. DD did not STTN till she was 12 months old. I was exhausted, but after drinking coffee all day I was fine. You learn to deal. Good luck.
  • E CE C member
    In addition to looking into part time, I'd also recommend researching your day care options.  Nannying isn't the only option out there, and frankly it does tend to be the most expensive option.  I suggest looking into a day care center or an in-home provider.
  • JLSBWGJLSBWG member
    I work four days a week and love it!  My company had asked me to reduce my hours from 40 to 32 last Fall and it was a blessing in disguise.  I make good money, but we did decide to find a less expensive daycare, without sacrificing the quality of the care.  So, it really makes it doable for me to work part-time.  I have every Friday off and it just gives me more work/life balance.  I highly recommend working part-time!  I'm not sure I will go back to full-time hours.
  • I agree with the others that maybe part time would be the best option for you. Our in home daycare charges us per day and I know she has other flexible arrangements for kids that are only there a couple days a week, so something like that might be cheaper than a nanny. Do you have family in the area that could help with daycare as well? Even one day a week would be good. But if you really don't feel happy staying at home full time but can afford to live without your salary, I would say even if you find a situation that lets you work without losing money (but maybe you break even between salary and daycare), it might be best for you personally. Ideally, it would be great if you could add to your family's income, but your happiness is just as important. And as someone else said, it would be good for your career long term since it would keep you involved in the workforce.

I don't have twins, but DS is only 4 months old and I'm managing work and a newborn well. Yes, there are nights neither of us sleep well and I'm exhausted at work, and there are days that the house is a bit of a disaster since we don't have the energy to clearn, but it is doable. Just like there are bad days when you SAH, there will be rough days when you work. But when it comes down to it, I'm happy working (although I wouldn't mind a 4 day/week schedule Smile).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"