Austin Babies
Options

***nanann***

I'm stalking your blog because I've been dying to start quilting for awhile now...where do you get your patterns and design ideas?  Your quilts are so beautiful!  I just picked up an intro book on quilting, but do you mind sharing any tips for a quilting newbie? tia

Re: ***nanann***

• Options

Awww, thank you so much for the compliment!  And yay for getting started with quilting - it is a ton of fun!

As for patterns and design ideas, I subscribe to some quilting magazines and have a TON of books and go to quilt shows and now I stalk several different quilt blogs.  I have more ideas - and fabric bought - for more quilts than I will probably be ever able to make at the rate I'm going now!

There is actually a quilt-along going on right now that just started at Old Red Barn, and she's giving prizes.  She really does seem to be starting with basics, from supplies to how to cut your fabric, so you might consider doing that -- or at least saving it for later.  I've been thinking of starting it myself just to get rid of some of my huge stash (and to maybe win a prize!).

Another quilt-along just finished at Oh Frannson <-- and that link points to all the different quilt-along lessons.  I didn't do hers but read through it while she was doing it (I subscribe to her blog) and she doesn't do things my way necessarily at all times, but I imagine everyone has different ways of doing things.  That's more of a sampler quilt so you could learn how to sew different blocks.

And and and.  I have more information!  There is also a Crafts board on the nest you might visit - it sometimes has info.

Anyway, I'll leave you with 1 tip:  Do NOT buy quilting fabric from Joann's or Walmart or Hobby Lobby or whatever.  Buy from quilting stores.  It is more expensive, but there is a distinct quality difference.

Let me know if you have more questions!  I just figured I better stop sometime before I write a novel.  Wink

imageimage
    6-yr-old Elena and 4-yr-old Julia.
    My Blog! All about my girls and quilting
  • Options
    2H2L2H2L member
    Thank you so much for all of the info! And good to know about buying the quilting fabric - I probably would've made that mistake!  Thank you so much, and I promise I'll probably be bothering you in the future with more specific questions once I get started, lol. Off to check out those quilt-alongs...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"