Success after IF

DH is yelling at me for buying baby stuff.....

My first shower is next Sunday and my second shower is two weeks from then.  While I would be surprised and grateful if everything was purchased from our registry, I really do not expect that to happen.  First, we have 100 plus items on our registry (lots of necessities).  Second I am guilty of registry stalking and not much seems to be moving.

Anyway, I already bought our nursery furniture and decor, mattress, crib bedding, snap n go, jogging stroller, sling, diaper bag (alot, I know!).  Well, I have the shopping bug and want to buy some more.  So I am looking at buying a CD player, oscillating fan, and humidifier for the nursery (saw good ebay auctions on these).  Even though they are on our registry, they really are not the kind of things I see people buying. 

Am I nuts?  I'm just trying to be realistic and get good prices and spread out my purchases, cause I know I'll still have a ton left to buy after my showers.  He basically said we should let someone else buy something for us for once.

Oh and I have bought absolutely nothing cute-sy so far - no clothes, blankets,nothing frivilous, I have had complete self control!

Re: DH is yelling at me for buying baby stuff.....

• I don't think you're nuts but I do think it makes sense to hold off on most things. As much as you can wait to see what people get you is good. But I hear ya - it's fun to get stuff and get organzied ...
  • I would have held off on the strollers and some of the other bigger ticket items. Aunts like to go in together and get things like that.

People do not shop ahead of time off of a registry... they go the day before or that morning. Things will be bought!!! It's just 1 more week- don't buy anymore!!! Save your money!

imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think you're crazy (shopping for baby stuff is FUN!), but I would hold off. ?I was shocked that most of the stuff on our BIG registry was purchased, and we got a TON of gift cards and checks for other things. ?We were able to buy all of our furniture (including glider) with checks and giftcards. ?Even though it seems like things aren't moving, remember that so many people shop the day before or morning of. ?Plus, sometimes the store is bad about scanning the registry. ?If something is on clearance or super-sale, it makes sense to buy it (my travel system was 50% off a few weeks before the shower, so I did buy that myself). ?Otherwise, I'd hold off until after the showers.

I understand trying to spread out purchases, since there is a lot to buy. ?Could you just put aside some money every week? ?That way after the showers you'll be able to shop to fill in the gaps. ??

My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • I have the urge to do the same, but I have completely resisted (somehow). ?

At my first shower, nearly a month ago, we got like maybe 7 items off our registry - and that includes our infant seats that people went in on. ?But not really any of the necessities - lots of cutesy clothes and stuff. ?We also got our bouncy seats, and activity gym, but I think that's it. ?

I am a constant registry stalker and nothing seems to be moving there either. ?It makes me very nervous that we will end up spending all this money at once on necessities!?

• In our experience, no large items were purchased from our registry (stroller, playard, etc.)  I think it is smart to shop around and I don't think it is too late.  DH and I are now buying one large thing a week because we didn't get them (BTW, my ILs haven't mentioned a gift!). 

At my showers, the only practical things I got were a bathtub, a boppy, and a diaper genie.  Oh, I did get burp cloths and one sheet for the playard.  EVERYTHING else was clothes & blankets.  Despite me talking for several weeks prior that I already had too many clothes.  I have a huge pile of things in my trunk with no tags/gift receipts and will take the load to GoodWill this week.

I guess families are different and I think it depends on where you are in life - DH and I are both professionals (recently out of school with lots of debt) so I think most family members don't feel inclined to help us with some of the bigger stuff.

Ask your DH if (random example) he'd rather spend $50 now than $70 later because you didn't get [a practical item] and had to buy it last minute?

Me – 33 (no diagnosis), DH – 41 (MFI)

IVF #1/ICSI 2008 – 22 ER, 21 F, Day 3 transfer (8A and 8B) - BFP, 3 Frosties

Surprise BFP 2010

Surprise BFP 2011

Shipped frosties from TX to VA in 2012

FET #1 May 2013, single blast – BFN

FET #2 August 2013 2 blasts – BFN

IVF #2/ICSI/AH Jan 2014 – 8 ER, 7M, 6 F Day 3 transfer (grade 2 & 3), no frosties - BFP!

• A lot of people procrastinate, and a lot of people don't turn in the registry paperwork when they buy, so things don't show up as being purchased. ?I would hold off on most of the big things as long as I could. ?We had people go in together on our Pack N Play and some other bigger stuff. ?
  • people will buy late next week, probably on Saturday, and then the same for your next. Just wait til then and them go crazy!
    2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • You know what I'd do? I'd put those things that you bought back on your regstry. Then if you get one you can take it back and use the money for something you really need. I agree that people usually buy the day of or the day before the shower and you might be surprised what people give as group gifts, etc. I do understand the urge to buy things though. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think you are nuts but I would most definately stop buying stuff, we had a ton of stuff on our registry and the day before my shower 75% of it was bought. 

People generally don't buy shower gifts a week in advance.

• In fact so much stuff was bought that folks ended up buying us a lot of clothes for the baby.
  • i was shocked by how much big stuff was purchased for the shower (stroller, 2 car seat, for some reason we got 3 swings, haha) and i will second the fact that most of the shopping was done that day and the next day, and even a bunch of stuff was never taken off the registry..either the people buying didn't tell them, or it just wasn't done (hence the 3 swings)..

so i don't blame you for being excited and buying stuff at all..but i would prob take a break now :) and just put ANYTHING you want on your registry ?:)?

Ron and Nora married 6.3.06 21 cycles, 1 m/c, 4 rounds clomid, 1 round gonal f and 3 IUI anovulatory cycles, LPD
    Joey, Ronnie, and Audrey,
    my awesome IUI 30 week twins, and my surprise miracle Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LOVE my SAIF ladies :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers My Blog!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"