Success after IF

How much to spend on a shower gift

I have a (fairly) close friend who is having a baby shower in a couple of weeks. When DS was born she was INCREDIBLY generous with gifts for him. We are not exactly in a position to spend 100-200 on a  gift for her. Will I look cheap if I do not return the favor?

A little background, We are good friends with occasionally a little competitive streak. I did have a little trouble when she got pg on her own on their first shot.  I know that I can not take that out on her, and she has been nothing but supportive and kind. The only differences we have are mild parenting differences, but she will see the light when she has her baby! (lol)

I just do not want occasional fertility jealousy to cloud my judgment. 

So, back to the original question, what is an appropriate amount to spend from a single income family with another baby on the way!? 

Re: How much to spend on a shower gift

• I think whatever you're comfortable with is the right amount ;-)

I tell ya... you can make anything cheap look like a million bucks if it's wrapped right...

I love to get those cardboard ice cream buckets from Michael's Craft, decorate with cute paper and flowers or matchbox cars (b/g) and put lots of "necessities" in it... nail clippers, lotions, etc. you could even hit up the dollar store for some fillers.  I've been known to spend $10 on the gift, and $20 wrapping it ;-)

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • I think you should spend whatever you can comfortably afford. I know what you mean about spending what she spent on you- I constantly feel pressure to match whatever people get us.  Maybe you could get her something small but useful from her registry, and then make her something.  Homemade gifts are invaluable IMO.  I actually had my shower today and the only gift I cried from was a beautiful hand knit blanket that my great aunt gave me.  I means so much that she spent the time, effort and energy on us and the baby :)  I'd say harness your creative juices and make something for her, or the baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Agree - spend what you can afford!  Also, you can check for sales, if she is registered at BRU they are always running sales, sending cupons, etc.  You can use 20% Bed Bath Beyond Cupons at Buy Buy Baby.  Also check other sites like Amazon.com, they often offer great brands at steep discounts.  So, you can buy a $100 or so item but spend way less.

Also, a good idea is to buy a baby bath and a few bathing items she registered for, fill it in with baby bath products (check for sales, cupuns) and other fun bathing items (stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls have tons of this stuff for cheap).

• I think you kind of need to spend what you are comfortable with.  For a *good* friend, I would probably spend $100, for one of my closest friends, whose shower I am co-hosting I will probably end up spending closer to $200, but we are a two income household with no children yet....

BUT I think what is more important than the amount spent is knowing your friend and what she needs/wants.  I got lots of $150+ gifts that I really wish were not purchased, they are not my style (not on the registry) and almost impossible to return so I feel like the buyer and I both got rooked.  I'm assuming you talk somewhat regularly, find out what she's most excited/nervous about with the baby (taking her for walks around the neighborhoood-- then get one of her strollers or accessories for the walk; Breastfeeding-- then get a bunch of bf supplies and books or even a consult with a LC; still making time with DH-- get her a gift card to a restaurant and a IOU for babysitting one night within the first 3 months of baby's arrival).

Good luck!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"