Baby Showers

GIFTS

This question is quite premature but I have been thinking about it for awhile, so I am going to ask.  When I have a baby shower, do I have to open the gifts at the party. I have been to so many baby shower and it truly takes a long time. I would rather spend my time mingling and enjoying my guests.  What do you ladies think, will people talk about me and hate me if I don't open gifts and just send thank you cards?

Re: GIFTS

• Jules GJules G member
    You're absolutely right, this question is very premature! That being said, first of all someone has to offer to host a shower for you & yes you would?definitely?need to open the?gifts?there. I?understand?that you may see it as more mingling time with guests, but the guests would see it as you being rude by not opening their gift in front of them. There really is no way to get around that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the snootie response, I am not worried about having a baby shower thrown for me. That will happen. I was just curious about the opening of gifts because I get nervous in crowds sometimes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Jules really wasn't being snootie.

Anyhow- yes, you will be expected to open the gifts'  Somepeople will be put off if you don't.

That being said- gift opening doesn't have to take THAT long.  If you're quick about it and keep it moving- it can go quickly.  I'm not saying tear through the gifts and toss them to the side- but don't be "dainty" about ripping the paper, etc.  Trust me - your guests want you to move quickly too.  Just make a point to hold up the gift, thank the giver, thenmove on. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Thanks East Coast. Some people I have talked to agreed with you.
  • If I attended a shower and didn't get to see the person open the gift I brought them, I would be really sad. I love to watch people open the gifts I pick out for them.  And I fully plan to open the gifts at my shower.    You & others can still chat and socialize while you are opening.  It's not like all conversation has to stop while you tear the wrapper paper. :)    Have fun!
  • You definitely have to open the gifts at the shower (any shower...baby or bridal) because people want to see your reaction when you open them.  I agree with the poster regarding not being too dainty about tearing the paper etc.  Just keep moving along.  One thing that might help is to have dad-to-be there to help.  You should still open the gifts but he can hold them up so people can see what you got.  I suggest not having him open them though.  I went to one shower where they were taking turns (actually they were both opening at the same time.  Mine was a 4 part gift.  The first were some special onesies  with cute sayings (only a woman would really understand) and he opened them.  Just looked at them and put them aside...didn't read what they said, didn't hold them up.  I was really kind of disappointed that the mom-to-be didn't even look at them.  She opened the big gifts (2) and he opened the last which was a photobook for baby and I had gotten photos of them, their house, the grandparents-to-be, and their dog and cat.  He didn't even look thorugh it...didn't even open it up.  I'm not saying you should ohh and ahh over every little thing but at least LOOK at it!  lol

• A lot of people I know have been doing Bingo during the gift opening, to keep people interested and to make it so all eyes aren't completely focused on you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Try to encourage people with young children to let their kids "help" you open gifts....that will make things go a LOT faster, and the kids get the joy of playing with tissue & wrapping paper!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagefnkeefresh:
    Try to encourage people with young children to let their kids "help" you open gifts....that will make things go a LOT faster, and the kids get the joy of playing with tissue & wrapping paper!
    Totally disagree.  Kids won't focus on what is going on- they are going to get caught up in the wrapping paper and will actually become a distraction.

This is actually why I don't feel kids should even be at showers - it's not for them.  It's for the mom to be.  A "baby" shower does not bring "bring your babies".

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Yep, you've got to open gifts at your shower.  Not doing so is rude.  You are the center of attention that day regardless of your stance on gift opening so I'm not sure how the "crowds" will be any different.  People like to see their gifts get "oohed and aahhed" over...  I think moreso with baby showers because things are so cutesy and people do spend a lot of time picking the perfect outfit/bib.
  • Thanks Ladies, so the consensus is....I need to be opening the gifts.  Ok. I have plenty of time to get my nerves together.
  • imageEastCoastBride:

imagefnkeefresh:
    Try to encourage people with young children to let their kids "help" you open gifts....that will make things go a LOT faster, and the kids get the joy of playing with tissue & wrapping paper!
    Totally disagree.? Kids won't focus on what is going on- they are going to get caught up in the wrapping paper and will actually become a distraction.

This is actually why I don't feel kids should even be at showers - it's not for them.? It's for the mom to be.? A "baby" shower does not bring "bring your babies".

Couldn't agree more. Plus, little kids will always want to try and help open presents and they make things much more complicated and it ends up taking longer!?

• imageEastCoastBride:

imagefnkeefresh:
    Totally disagree.  Kids won't focus on what is going on- they are going to get caught up in the wrapping paper and will actually become a distraction.

This is actually why I don't feel kids should even be at showers - it's not for them.  It's for the mom to be.  A "baby" shower does not bring "bring your babies".

It really depends on the type of shower, though.  More informal, family-centric ones; church and faithfamily; coed sorts; picnic and present type affairs all have no problem being both showers and kid friendly.  I know I'd be upset if there were no kids around at my showers.  My bridal shower had ladies age 9 months to 78 years at it, and I'd not trade that sort of thing for the world.

• Oh geez somehow this turned into the neverending 'should kids be at showers' type of post ;). haha

I agree that yes you need to open them, it's the point of it & a lot of ppl like to see your reaction, esp if they do something special/out of the norm (like my MIL who knitted 4 sweaters, 2 caps & 2 blankets for our twins or a family friend who built us a rocking horse- I know they both wanted to see the reaction & I don't blame them!). It can get really long & boring so enlist a couple friends to help- I had one who opened up cards and had them ready for me & also had scissors to cut through ribbons and even started opening the tape just to make it easier for me if the package was really taped up, and then another who was in charge of taking the stuff away from me & organizing it in a corner (plus of course the person writing down the giver/gifts). Made it go really fast. ?

• I hate being centre of attention too so I know exactly what you mean but most people at the shower can't wait to oohh and awww over your lil one's gifts {next to rubbing your belly lol :-)} So I would say just chalk it and try to unwrap as fast as possible, ask the god parents to help with unwrapping and putting away to make it go smoother...have fun

• imageEastCoastBride:

imagefnkeefresh:
    Totally disagree.? Kids won't focus on what is going on- they are going to get caught up in the wrapping paper and will actually become a distraction.

This is actually why I don't feel kids should even be at showers - it's not for them.? It's for the mom to be.? A "baby" shower does not bring "bring your babies".

I agree but I think she meant if the mom to be has older children!?

• It can be done in an efficent manner.  Have one person in charge of handing you gifts.  That person can also be dealing with the wrapping paper/bags.  Have another one be writting down the gifts you have recieved.  Just keep going until you are done.

I agree with the pp who talked about looking at the gift.  It doesn't take that long to hold it up and make a comment about it.  People appreciate their gift being recognized. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like your plan, I will do the same when my time comes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"