1st Trimester
Options

WTEWYE?

Is anyone else reading What To Expect? I picked it up last week (though I think it's the older edition, not the newest). It's not as great as I thought it would be! I was turned off pretty quick when, in speaking about their Best Odds Diet, they said you could "treat yourself" to a piece of bread once a week, or have a candy bar once a month! Come on now!

This weekend I picked up I'm Pregnant by Lesley Regan and it's so much better! Way more realistic and down to earth.

Any other opinions on either of these books? Obviously I'm only into the second month/5th week chapters respectively. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WTEWYE?

• Options
    Yeah I'm reading it now only because it was lent to me by a friend. ?Everyone says that book is outdated but there are so many other books out there that I don't know which to buy.
  • Options
    i have an older version of WTE, i think it came out a couple of years ago. my doctor said to ignore the diet part, its ridiculous. i really havent found it all that helpful. i much prefer to just ask you ladies here when i have a question!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    WTE scared the crap out of me.  I liked "I'm Pregnant" too and "Your Pregnancy Week by Week."  That one was my favorite
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    EmmieBEmmieB member

That book is so alarmist I steered clear. I've got Your Pregnancy Week By Week and The Complete Organic Pregnancy. I've also got Skinny *** Bun In The Oven, but they're angry, vitriolic vegans and I don't recommend reading it while you're pregnant. Seriously. I got to a section and it made me so mad that they would put that in a book that nauseous and emotional women read that I stopped reading and am going to sell it. They say at the beginning that they're not here to be your friend, but there's a LARGE area between friend and bully, and they land squarely on the side of "bully." FWIW.

The other two I like a lot. Good info. At this point, if I were you, I'd just stay away from the bad stuff - soft cheese, lots of caffeine, raw meat, booze, drugs - and then eat what is appealing and stays down. Yesterday all I wanted was grilled cheese. Today it was taco bell. :-D

• Options

when i found out I was pregnant- I spent an evening reading WTEWYE (new edition)...it was ok but I'm not thrilled with her tone..

I may venture to borders or my local library and see if they have one of the others you gals suggested 

• Options
    I have WTE and I only kind of skim through certain sections. I also have Everything You Need to Know about Pregnancy, same thing, just skim through sections. I think the second one is easier to read.
  • Options
    I have an older version of What to Expect and a copy of Your Pregnancy Week by Week. I think there's some good information in there, but I learn more online than I have in those books.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have the newest edition and the accompanying journal/organizer.  I prefer the journal over the book itself, which I find too anecdotal.  I much prefer the Mayo Clinic's Guide to Pregnancy and online resources like Babycenter.com and Babyfit.com
  • Options
    I bought it and thumbed through but like you all have stated I am not so thrilled either. My husband is reading So You're going to be a Dad and he is loving it. I am kind of jealous that he has a book that is insightful unlike my current book. I think I need a trip to Barnes and Noble!
  • Options
    I used this book mainly as reference.  I'd scan right over anything I didnt' have a question about.  Some people find WTEWYE to be overwhelming and a little fightening.  Personally, I found it nice to basically have 1 book for any question I might have.  Now, 2 books that I thoroughly enjoyed were "Your Pregnancy, Week by Week" and "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy".
    imageimage
  • Options
    mmkerrmmkerr member

my ob/gyn gave a copy of wtewye as a complimentary thing...i read it sometimes, it does have a lot of answers to some of the questions i was having. i have "the pregnancy countdown book" and it's a neat little book that goes through your entire pregnancy week by week, it even breaks it down to days. it has tips, advice, and it says it in a way that's realistic and funny. i love it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy has been my fav. My best friend dropped off her library of a dozen pregnancy books, and Girlfriends guide is cute, funny and the biggest thing REALISTIC. Go loan it out at the library, it doesn't disapoint :)
  • Options
    I didn't really find it helpful at all, I thought the biggest section it had was on STD's which (i hope) dont apply to the majority of women. I read Jenny Mccarthy's Belly Laughs and it is a very funny book but it is also helpful because she doesnt sugarcoat anything, she puts it out there. I found it more helpful then WTE. I use the internet more then books anyway, it seems to be easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"