Baby Names
Options

names that you cannot pronounce when you first read them

... would you name your kid that anyway, or would you go for a "safe" choice instead?

[Poll]

Re: names that you cannot pronounce when you first read them

• Options
    Most of the names we love are Celtic in origin (for our Irish families), and the traditional spellings are always misunderstood.  We thought about changing the spellings to more modernized, American versions; but then what's the point?  If it's difficult for people to understand at first, then it will be their problem.  We are going to stick with the traditional Gaelic/Celtic spellings.
  • Options

We named our second son "Dashiell" ... we thought about changing it so that it was more phonetic, but decided to stick with the traditionally spelling.

We know it's pronounced "Dash-ul" but EVERYONE mispronounces it ... we get "Day sheel" and "day she el" a lot. So we're learning that we're going to have to teach him how to deal with having this kind of name!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LMS05LMS05 member
    I don't like names that are hard to pronounce so no, I would never consider it.?
  • Options
    My name was/is always mispronounced and was never that big of a deal.  The mispronunciation became a nickname.  My DD is also often mispronounced.  Really don't think it is a horrible ordeal
  • Options
    Our last name is already pretty difficult to pronounce, so I wouldn't give our children a difficult first name too
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    EXL311EXL311 member

I voted that I wouldn't do that to a kid but honestly I was torn.  My name is Deirdre and everyone and their mother pronounces it wrong, often after I've told them how to pronounce it correctly.  So that being said, I guess it would really depend on the name.  I like my name but having to constantly tell people how to pronounce it or just pretending like they said it right is a pain in the butt.

Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options
    I think it depends on the name. I like names that you can pronounce without too much trouble. One of the names I love though is Aria, which is often mispronounced (Its pronounced Are-ee-uh). DH vetoed it though.
  • Options
    CMDR513CMDR513 member
    My first name is Carolina. It's pronounced with a Long E not I. I have had my name butchered or changed so much during my life- I just got used to it. You'd be surprised how many "normal" names this happens to, as well. I'd go with the name you like.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options

One Celtic name that I kind of liked that I got from a novel is spelled like "Clodagh,"  (pronounced Cloda with a long O), it's a river in Ireland. 

Even before DH completely vetoed it, I decided I couldn't do that to a kid.  Still like it, but I'd never actually use it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Our last name is really difficult to pronounce and has never even once been said correctly the first time around that I've heard, so we just couldn't do it with DD. And yet even with the name Leah Claire, it gets mispronounced ALL the time. Lee, Laya, Clara for her MN, you name it. Her doctor's office has been seeing her for a year and EVERYONE there says "Laya." Even the automated voice system that reminds us for her appointments does it.

That said, I still would not pick something like Saoirse or Aoife that no one would be able to pronounce. Those would be butchered beyond belief in America. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagejenerally:

We named our second son "Dashiell" ... we thought about changing it so that it was more phonetic, but decided to stick with the traditionally spelling.

We know it's pronounced "Dash-ul" but EVERYONE mispronounces it ... we get "Day sheel" and "day she el" a lot. So we're learning that we're going to have to teach him how to deal with having this kind of name!

But thats how it's supposed to be spelled! WTH is wrong with people sometimes? We've chosed Camelia and Im worried people with F that up too...but seriously, it's not that hard!

• Options
    Who is the  "you" in this question? I ask b/c there are a lot of names on this board that to me seem obvious,yet others ask how they are pronounced. I think it depends on the name and the area you live in. Is it more multicultural/diverse? Is all "white bread american?" I think those factors make a difference sometimes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Here's my thinking - most names will be mispronounced at some point within the duration of an individual's life, for whatever reason.

DH is Flemish, so many of the names we'd be considering would fall into the 'difficult to pronounce' category for the non-Dutch speaker.

Does that mean we'll entirely disregard his culture & heritage or, worse yet, destroy an otherwise traditional name with a hideously simplistic, faux spelling - no, of course not.

Nor will we one day name our children Lodewijk & Aaltje (both beautiful, traditional Dutch names) just to make his or her life difficult.

People typically give the names they do because they have some sort of deeper resonance - why sacrifice that just because of the occasional blameless unfamiliarity?  Everyone learns.
  • Options
    Depends on why it is hard to pronounce.  If it is a weird spelling because it is a traditional spelling for the origin, then it is fine with me.  If it is hard to pronounce because the parents were idots and chose to spell their childs name in a "unique" way, then that is another story, and not ok to me!
    My Bio
    Blog
    Miles Alister. 9.17.2007. 8# 6oz 21.5inches
    Isla Penelope. 10.21.2010. 8# 3oz 21 inches
    2 Months 11# 6oz 23.5 inches
    4 Months 13# 6oz 25 inches
    6 Months 14# 15oz 27 inches
    9 Months 17# 10oz 28 inches
    12 Months 19# 10oz 28.75 inches
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board