2nd Trimester

Register for which items?

My DH and I are trying to financially get an idea of what we need to purchase in the next 6 months to be prepared for this little baby that is coming. I am trying to explain to him that you receive much of what you need through a baby shower. Of course, I don't want to plan on getting everything on the list. What should one expect? What about the bigger items? (i.e., strollers, car seats, sleepers, etc.)

Re: Register for which items?

• We are not having a shower so we are purchasing everything. To us it was about figuring out which items were our priorities and to make sure we purchased quality items that were going to last verses something cheaper that wouldn't hold up over time. Baby Bargains (the book) helped us narrow down what we wanted and we've gone from there.

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • If you think that someone will get you a more expensive item (ie: stroller, crib etc) then register for them.  If you don't think it will happen then don't put them on yet.  For DD we put everything on and no one said anything to us.  But now I wouldn't put it all on.

For our shower the largest item we got was the high chair we registered for.  My mom bought us several of the smaller items we registered for.  And my cousins went in together to get the bedding we picked out.  I was of course very grateful for everything we got.

If you don't add things to your registry because you don't want large ticket items on there, then do it after your shower (if you register at BRU).  About 1 month before the baby is due you get a "completion" coupon.  You can go to the store (or shop online) and use the coupon to get 10% off everything that is still on your registry.  It's good for one day only, so you have to do it all at once.

• Loading the player...
  • with my first, we got the infant carseat, stroller, pack and play were our big ticket shower items. our parents chipped in for the crib and changing table....some of the other big items we were lacking I used gift cards for, return credits from gifts in multiples, etc
  • Before we got pregnant- DH was like you.  He was convinced that our families would be so over the moon that they'd be uber generous and get us almost everything we would need. 

Newsflash- I'm 23 weeks pregnant and NO ONE has offered to throw a shower.  The only gifts we've gotten are a knock off Boppy, two sleepers, a onesie and a stuffed animal.  NOTHING from my Dad.  NOTHING from his mom.  And nothing from three of the 4 total sisters that are in the pictures (the stuffed animal was from one). We just bought our furniture.  We got our travel system at 18 weeks.  I'm not convinced that anyone will buy me ANYTHING that I need, but I did register for it anyway since a few close friends have been asking about a registry. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly it's hard to know, and I would plan on having to pay for a lot so that you aren't surprised. We got almost all clothes at our shower.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • we're pretty much purchasing all the big ticket items on our own (furniture, glider/ottoman, travel system, bedding). everything else will go on the registry though we don't expect anyone to purchase them for us. we figure we'll cash in on the completion discount :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's really hard to predict what you'll get at your shower... it depends a lot I think on where you live, who's coming, guests' financial circumstances, etc.  I had two showers - one I got nothing off my registry, the other I got only off my registry.  But very few big-ticket items.  If I were you, I'd add everything you need to your registry, but plan on purchasing all of it yourselves, just in case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"