Multiples

Question on feeding schedule

I totally set the alarm wrong and missed the 2am feeding.  I woke up at 4:45 just in time for the 5am feeding.  I felt awful that they hadn't eaten since 11pm.  They must have been so tired because they were both crying until 1am and couldn't get to sleep.  I guess that's why they slept.  This makes me wonder if I should be switching to a 4 hr schedule instead of always waking them up every 3 hrs.  When did you transition to a 4 hr schedule?

Re: Question on feeding schedule

• We stopped waking them to eat around 6 weeks when the Dr gave us the go ahead - they were growing, etc.  once we stopped waking them, they started going about 5 hours at night.  We still eat every 3 hours during the waking hours though, never could get to 4.
  • We were told at our 1 wk pedi appointment that it is not necessary to wake them to feed them during the night just as long as they do not got over 6 hours without eating as newborns. My girls the first few weeks woke every 3 hours and then after letting them wake on their own, they slowly began to sleep longer between the feedings. By 11 weeks they slept on average 9 hours and now will sleep about 11 hours between feedings.?

Since they were about 2 months we have been feeding at 7, 10, 1, 4, 7. ?

M E L I S S A My Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We were on a three hour feeding schedule (12,3,6,9 and repeat) for the first two and a half months. Then I started to spread them out at night so I could sleep... and just as long as I gave them the amount they needed during the daytime hours (even if I had to feed them every 3 hours) it was worth it if I could sleep through the night.

Currently at 4.5 months, they sleep from 8:30 til 6am and eat at 6,10,1:30,5,and then again at 8:30... so it's not exactly four hours between each feeding, but as long as they get approximately 30-32 oz each every day, they do great at night. I should also mention they are using level 2 nipples which greatly cuts down on their feeding time (from half hour each to ten minutes each now) so it doesn't seem like I am constantly feeding them over and over again!

I could go into greater detail but what worked for my babies may not necessarily work for yours. I don't know if you are breastfeeding or formula feeding, but my best advice would be to let them sleep at night and compensate for any "missed" feedings during the day if possible. They'll let you know if they're hungry at night!!

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"