Parenting after a Loss
Options

ok more bf q....how long

does ur dc nurse?  ds takes prob 1/2 hr/side.  i mean i don't mind i just feel like a 24hr buffett,

does dc spit spit up a lot?  i think my milk comes down 2 fast 4 him & he has 2 burp 2-3x/side.

how old was dc b4 s/he really got the latching on down?  ds seems 2 b lazy sometimes & at times pulls off slightly from a good latch. which i think is related 2 last q.

thx!

Re: ok more bf q....how long

• Options

I would say it takes a good 4-6 weeks for you both to get a hang of it and feel confident.

I remember feeling really good about it at 3 month because thats when Austin stopped using the nipple shield. 

• Options

DD prob nursed 20min or so but just on one side

She started spitting up a lot around a week old and has to be burped alot even when she nurses, when she has a bottle we burp her every 1/2oz or so.

I guess she started to latch pretty good around 1 1/2 -2 weeks

good luck and just remember it's hard and just takes awhile to get used to, you sound like you are doing great!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Let me add that he started eating faster sooner than that. Probably around 3-4 weeks we were doing 20 min per nursing session. 15 mins at 2 mos, and now we do 10 mins.
  • Options

That's completely normal at that age, to take the long. I had the opposite problem though, mine would nurse for like 4 minutes and then fall asleep! I was constantly having to tickle them, strip them down, etc. Poor little buggers.

I think it took a full 6- weeks before I felt comfortable with DD's latch. DS was easier, but I had to see a LC twice to get DD's latch properly. She had a tiny mouth and I really had to position her properly. 

It's entirely possible that your milk IS coming down quickly. You can try pumping for a few minutes before you nurse, to reduce some of the pressure. You should also have your nipple pointed at the roof of his mouth, rather than the throat. Also, I think someone here (Crazy maybe?) mentioned putting lanolin on their nipples to get a good "seal" so the baby gets less air. 

That said, DS often pulls himself away from the boob. I have to hold him firmly between the shoulders.

• Options
    jnealetjnealet member

It gets better.  EC can nurse 10 minutes a side but mostly does 20 minutes/side.  And yes, she spits up a lot even though we burp her a lot.

She didn't latch well for the first week and then it progressivly got better from there.

The first couple weeks all I felt like I did was nurse - it would be 10pm and I would have no clue where my day went.  I figured out that I was nursing 8+ hours a day, a full time job. 

It does get better!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

hadley has always been a short nurser.  she only takes one boob per feeding unless my supply is low or she is having a growth spurt.  in the very beginning she might have nursed 15-20 minutes but now she averages 6-8 minutes and she's done.  BF is hard work, but it does get easier.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"