1st Trimester
Options

U/S @ 9 wks: internal or external?

I'm having an "emergency" ultrasound tomorrow due to some spotting I've had this weekend.  I'll be 9w2d.  Do you think they'll be able to find anything with the basic - over the stomach - type ultrasound?  Or will I have to make friends with the dildo cam?
natural m/c 6-1-09 @9 weeks, Lucy born 5-11-10, m/c (D&C)1-24-12 @10 weeks Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: U/S @ 9 wks: internal or external?

• Options
    prepare to be violated :)  9 weeks is still in the vag cam stage
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was 7/8 weeks when I had one with my DS. It was external. I would imagine yours would be too. We could see the heartbeat, etc with it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had an ultrasound at 7w6d and the external showed the baby, who was very little, so they wanted to do an internal as well.

I know that is earlier than you are but I'd probably be prepared for both. It's not so bad. Plus, if they do the internal, you don't have to have a full bladder, and for me sitting there while she pressed that thing on my bladder was way worse than the dildo cam as you call it!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

hehe get ready for the dildo cam. :) i dont know what the big deal is at all. it doesnt hurt, its just a little awkward at first, but once you see baby you forget the thing is even in there!?just remember to try to relax your muscles, its not very big (probably a lot smaller than the thing that got you pregnant, TMI but its true) and they put plenty of goop on it.

• Options

imageJennyJen456:
    I was 7/8 weeks when I had one with my DS. It was external. I would imagine yours would be too. We could see the heartbeat, etc with it.

this. there's no reason for an internal at 9wks IMO

• Options
    It might be an internal u/s. I had my first u/s at 8.5 weeks and it was internal.
  • Options
    Mrs.KLFMrs.KLF member
    It must depend on your doctor, because mine told me that all u/s are internal until 10 weeks.
  • Options
    We had an internal ultrasound at 8 1/2 weeks. I've heard they are way more clear this early in pregnancy.

• Options
    I spotted at exactly 9 weeks and 3 days for a day...they did it vaginally b/c they couldn't see it any other way.  Because i'm rh negative i got a shot the next day and the bleeding never came back. 
  • Options
    Most likely they will start with external and do internal if they need a better look. At least that is what happened with DS.
  • Options

Be prepared for both.  If you've not had an internal u/s before, just know....it's weird.

Keep us posted - hope everything goes good!

• Options

I would think they would do a external since your spotting. When I had my first u/s it caused me to spot, but thats because I had a pap too. I hope everything goes okay! fingers crossed.

the dildo cam isnt that bad, it could be way worse.

• Options
    More than likely it will be internal. If you have spotting they will want to see the heartbeat internal is usually best for that. Good luck with your appointment :)
  • Options
    With DS, I was in a car accident at 9w and I had an external us at 9w3d. They were just looking for a HB and they found one!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"