Breastfeeding

XP: How many oz of BM does your 3 month old take?

I am starting back to work in 2 weeks and EBF, we give our LO a bottle of pumped milk on a rare occasion, but want to start giving him a bottle a day, but have no idea how much he should be taking. I would guess he weighs around 15 lbs, if that matters.

Thanks!

Re: XP: How many oz of BM does your 3 month old take?

• A breasfeeding sheet that the hospital gave me said that for every pound your baby weighs, they should drink 1.5 oz. of milk a day. So if your baby weighs 15 lbs...multiply that by 1.5...he should be drinking about 22.5 oz. of milk a day...so if he eats 6 times a day, he should eat about 3.75 oz. at each feeding.
  • At 3 months, my DD was eating 3.5 oz at a time.  She's never been a big eater, though - even at 8 months now, she only eats 4 oz. (she's only 17 lbs now, so she's a little smaller than your DS too).  Send lots of little bottles to start and let them feed more than 1 at a time if they need to - then you won't end up wasting precious BM!  A lot of daycares have to toss the milk after an hour, so you don't want to put more in than he will take.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelgroover:
    A breasfeeding sheet that the hospital gave me said that for every pound your baby weighs, they should drink 1.5 oz. of milk a day. So if your baby weighs 15 lbs...multiply that by 1.5...he should be drinking about 22.5 oz. of milk a day...so if he eats 6 times a day, he should eat about 3.75 oz. at each feeding.

Oh wow, how can that be correct?  My DD is 4 weeks, weighs around 9lbs, so according to that should eat about 13.5 oz a day.  She eats every 4 hours or so, and 3-4 oz each time... hmmm

• I nurse at 6 dd gets 5oz at 9 and 1 ...then i nurse again at 430/5
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"