Breastfeeding
Options

Help! excruciating nipple pain!

My son is 7.5 mos and started teething last week.  He bit me twice before I was able to say no and pull him away.  Now it's 2 days later and the pain just keeps getting worse, and my left nipple (just the nipple) continues to get more inflamed and painful.  I have to bite down on something or dig my nails into my skin to keep from screaming the whole time he nurses on that side.  I'm 99% certain from my internet research and and talking to the LC that I have a fungal infection of the nipple.  I'm going to pick up a script for fluconazole later today.  Has anyone else experienced this?  How long did it take for the pain to get better?  I have to pump at work and I'm dreading tomorrow as I can't imagine the pain of pumping on that side as well.  Help!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help! excruciating nipple pain!

• Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this! I haven't had any experience in with fungal infection.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Does he have any white patches in his mouth like thrush? I would probably go ahead and treat yourself and him like it is thrush. You need to boil everything that he puts in his mouth, bottles, nipples, pump parts ect, or use the sterizilzer bag!

Hugs! I read your post on working moms, and it will end up ok. I'm about to start 2 straight weeks of nights .UGH.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks so much for the replies!  I took the fluconazole loading dose and within a few hours I'm feeling much better.  Thank goodness, between that and the ICU this month I thought I was doomed.  

I'll put all my pump and bottle parts through the sterilizer.  I don't see any thrush in his mouth, but I suppose he needs treatment for the candida as well?  I'm feel ok Rxing my own fluconazole, but I'm not sure about what treatment he needs.  Guess I'll call the pedi tomorrow. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LOL on feeling ok on treating yourself, but not for DS. You can use nystatin oral suspension or diflucan- we generally start with nystatin and then go to diflucan if it is resistant. I'm in the opposite situation- DS def has thrush, and i'm treating myself presumtively with a cream.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"